• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a camera speeding infraction (DMV ticket)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmunchkins4

Happened in Washington DC. The Metropoltian Police sent me a ticket of the incident, and I have an administrative hearing at the DMV in DC.

I am planning on sending a request for discovery. If they do not respond, do I call the Adjudication Services, and request a hearing for motion to compel discovery?

Also, is it permissible to ask and call DMV to settle before going to the hearing, or will they require this to be done at the hearing?

Thank you.

Just Blue

Happened in Washington DC. The Metropoltian Police sent me a ticket of the incident, and I have an administrative hearing at the DMV in DC.

I am planning on sending a request for discovery. If they do not respond, do I call the Adjudication Services, and request a hearing for motion to compel discovery?

Also, is it permissible to ask and call DMV to settle before going to the hearing, or will they require this to be done at the hearing?

Thank you.
Px Hx. ;)

quincy

Thank you.
What was the ticket for? Are you located in DC? When is the hearing?

mrmunchkins4

Do you have a defense to the speeding ticket?
Not as of now. But if a procedural defect happens, I hope this could possibly lead to a better playing field then where I was previously. Do you know if I could call the DMV to settle outside the trial, or does it have to be done at the hearing?

Just Blue

A review of the px hx is recommended.

mrmunchkins4 ...Reporting a post is done if someone posts vulgar or abusive comments. My other post (and this one) is neither vulgar or abusive.

mrmunchkins4

A review of the px hx is recommended.

mrmunchkins4 ...Reporting a post is done if someone posts vulgar or abusive comments. My other post (and this one) is neither vulgar or abusive.
Thank you! Someone must have reported your post..

I will investigate further. If my discovery request is not answered, even after requesting a motion for it, do you think they might reduce/dismiss to settle?

Last edited:

quincy

... Someone must have reported your post..

I will investigate further. If my dsicovery request is not answered, even after requesting a motion for it, do you think they might reduce/dismiss to settle?
You reported Blue's post. It is sort of hard to do it accidentally.

How much is the fine? I doubt your ticket will be dismissed for no reason.

mrmunchkins4

You reported Blue's post. It is sort of hard to do it accidentally.

How much is the fine? I doubt your ticket will be dismissed for no reason.
$300! It is a lot. And I'm not to sure, but discovery is not properly made a lot of times the case can be thrown out. Its entirely dependent on the state I hear.

FlyingRon

Even in states where discovery is an option, it's rare that the ticket will get thrown out for lack of discovery. In the case of minor moving violations in DC, there is no option for discovery or other negotiations. You either pay the ticket, admit with explanation, or you request a hearing. Note if you plan to contest, you better make that request soon. You have only 30 calendar days from the date the ticket is written. If you miss that, the fine doubles and you lose the option to contest it.

quincy

Even in states where discovery is an option, it's rare that the ticket will get thrown out for lack of discovery. In the case of minor moving violations in DC, there is no option for discovery or other negotiations. You either pay the ticket, admit with explanation, or you request a hearing. Note if you plan to contest, you better make that request soon. You have only 30 calendar days from the date the ticket is written. If you miss that, the fine doubles and you lose the option to contest it.
He apparently has a hearing scheduled for a couple of weeks from now.

mrmunchkins4

He apparently has a hearing scheduled for a couple of weeks from now.
Can I get this case transfer from DMV adjudication services to Office of Administrative Hearings. In terms of discovery, how am I suppose to argue my case when all I know is I have active tickets under my name. I have not been presented with anything to go off of.

According to Pursuant to Rule 26(b)(1) and e Rule 26(b)(3) of the Superior Court Rules of Civil Procedure, I would be entitled to discovery in civil hearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">