• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a copy of "Show Cause Hearing"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NH
I have other posts where I received great advice...re: getting Child support services to even acknowledge my phone calls...which by the way..haha my case worker hase still NEVER returned a phone call.

In the mail today was..my copy I guess of a Notice of Hearing to my x. It says "A Show Cause Hearing on the attached report of violation in the above matter is scheduled at the...Superior Court House on 10-13...You must appear, prepared to show cause why you should not be held in contempt of court and incarcerated. If you fail to appear, a capias may issue for your arrest." BTW What is a "Capias"?????

The letter before that was from the case worker and in it says " Please be advised that in regard to the above referenced case, your x, has been scheduled to appear at Court Ordered Show Cause Hearing. Although you are not required to attend this hearing, you have a right to do so if you wish." Then it says the date, time and place again. At the end of her form letter it says to call her if I plan on going.

Now my question: Should I go? and if I go do I bring anything?
I read the definition of a Show Cause hearing and it says that basically he needs to explain why he should not be held in contempt of court and put in jail for failing to make regular child support payments..As he quit his job last January(to not have to pay child support and then he has sporatically worked for cash since then) will the judge just take that and say ok..slap on the wrist? Any advice would be helpful.

Part of me thinks I should go but the other part is happy that recently he has shown an interest in seeing our children again and though it has been hard(he lost his lic. so if he wants to see the children I have been bringing them to him in another town) I am thrilled that he is back in the picture for our kids. I am torn that if I do go...ultimately he will disappear out of their lives again and no amount of money is worth that.

LdiJ

yecatskimball said:
What is the name of your state? NH
I have other posts where I received great advice...re: getting Child support services to even acknowledge my phone calls...which by the way..haha my case worker hase still NEVER returned a phone call.

In the mail today was..my copy I guess of a Notice of Hearing to my x. It says "A Show Cause Hearing on the attached report of violation in the above matter is scheduled at the...Superior Court House on 10-13...You must appear, prepared to show cause why you should not be held in contempt of court and incarcerated. If you fail to appear, a capias may issue for your arrest." BTW What is a "Capias"?????

The letter before that was from the case worker and in it says " Please be advised that in regard to the above referenced case, your x, has been scheduled to appear at Court Ordered Show Cause Hearing. Although you are not required to attend this hearing, you have a right to do so if you wish." Then it says the date, time and place again. At the end of her form letter it says to call her if I plan on going.

Now my question: Should I go? and if I go do I bring anything?
I read the definition of a Show Cause hearing and it says that basically he needs to explain why he should not be held in contempt of court and put in jail for failing to make regular child support payments..As he quit his job last January(to not have to pay child support and then he has sporatically worked for cash since then) will the judge just take that and say ok..slap on the wrist? Any advice would be helpful.

Part of me thinks I should go but the other part is happy that recently he has shown an interest in seeing our children again and though it has been hard(he lost his lic. so if he wants to see the children I have been bringing them to him in another town) I am thrilled that he is back in the picture for our kids. I am torn that if I do go...ultimately he will disappear out of their lives again and no amount of money is worth that.
You going or not going won't change the ultimate outcome for him. Its probably going to be more than a slap on the wrist. They don't need you there to push forward action against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">