• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a phone call from sheriffs department...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

throttlehog1

I received a phone call from the Solano County Sheriffs Dept today informing me that I was being investigated for a robbery and shooting that took place two years ago. I was asked if I could come in tomorrow to answer some questions and that I was not under arrest. What do I do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did you confirm that the caller was really from the police department?

CdwJava

Interesting that they told you that YOU were being investigated. I would have expected them to - AT MOST - inform you that they were investigating such an incident from a couple of years ago. There are reasons why they might do that, however ... hmmm ...

FlyingRon

The caveat "you're not under arrest" is to affirm that it is not a situation where they are obliged to inform you of your right to remain silent and counsel. It doesn't mean however, that they aren't fishing for incriminating information from you. I would decline to speak to them without an attorney (and an attorney is likely going to tell you not to speak to them PERIOD).

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I received a phone call from the Solano County Sheriffs Dept today informing me that I was being investigated for a robbery and shooting that took place two years ago. I was asked if I could come in tomorrow to answer some questions and that I was not under arrest. What do I do?
Don't even go in to meet them before you've had a chance to discuss the matter with a criminal defense attorney. Watch the video that was linked above to see why you don't want to answer their questions, at least not without an attorney present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">