• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received Attorney Bill 4 years & 3 months later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slrcomp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am trying to determine what rights I have in this situation. I hired an attorney for a divorce in January of 2004. She was given a $2800 retainer for a very simple case.

She continuously canceled and rescheduled hearing after hearing. I asked her repeatedly for an accounting of my case. I never received one. I eventually gave up and fired her by sending her a registered letter stating why I was letting her go. I asked in that letter for an immediate billing. This was in August of 2006.

Finally, in April of 2008 I received a bill for nearly $10,000. Needless to say, I felt completely taken advantage of. What can I do about this bill? What rights do I have. I tried to speak with her office about the bill and they stated that she did the work and wants paid for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

slrcomp

Statue of Limitations

Is there some sort of Statue of Limitations that would apply in this case.

I continuously asked for an accounting of this case because I didn't want it to get too expensive.

seniorjudge

Is there some sort of Statue of Limitations that would apply in this case.

I continuously asked for an accounting of this case because I didn't want it to get too expensive.
I believe it is four years.

SOL is an affirmative defense. Google. It's not automatic.

nrknlknek

There are several state that bar an attorney from suing clients for fees. I do not know if your state in among them, but you might inquire. Senior Judge's suggestion for bar mediation is a good one. Before going down that road, I would send a letter to the attorney stating your position and asking her if she has any suggestions before taking to mediation. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">