• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received child support letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shawnparker1

I recently received a letter in the mail to establish child support. She had a child that is 4 years old and still with the presumed father (he’s on the birth certificate) but not married, but apparently isn’t the genetic father and they both knew within the first year.

I did sleep with this woman, but have no contact with her or her child in any way. I have no interest in being a father if I am infact the biological father and this seems like a way just to take money from me. They are both living together and both raising the child as a family. Considering if he was the genetic father she wouldn’t be able to seek out money from anyone so if I am the father, from my point of view it would be basically be theft!

What rights or recourse do I have?

Shawnparker1

I’m in Michigan and it’s addressed to me about a case to establish child support has been referred to their office.
It has a number to schedule an appointment to pick up my paperwork and has a number to call if I would like to schedule genetic testing.

It instructs me to bring W2, recent pay stubs, name and address of employers, drivers license.

Just Blue

I recently received a letter in the mail to establish child support. She had a child that is 4 years old and still with the presumed father (he’s on the birth certificate) but not married, but apparently isn’t the genetic father and they both knew within the first year.

I did sleep with this woman, but have no contact with her or her child in any way. I have no interest in being a father if I am infact the biological father and this seems like a way just to take money from me. They are both living together and both raising the child as a family. Considering if he was the genetic father she wouldn’t be able to seek out money from anyone so if I am the father, from my point of view it would be basically be theft!

Huh? What the heck does ^ mean?? If you are found to be the biological father, then you are legally and morally responsible for your share of financial costs of this childs care. Your name will be placed on the BC and IF you choose to you may seek visitation with her.

A child support order is not theft. Stop that silly idea right now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I’m in Michigan and it’s addressed to me about a case to establish child support has been referred to their office.
It has a number to schedule an appointment to pick up my paperwork and has a number to call if I would like to schedule genetic testing.

It instructs me to bring W2, recent pay stubs, name and address of employers, drivers license.
I suggest you contact them ASAP to make sure they know that there is a father on the child's birth certificate, and it's not you. I wouldn't offer any additional information just yet. Wait to see how they reply.

That does raise a question, though: How do you KNOW that the other guy is on the birth certificate?

LdiJ

You have the right to ask for a paternity test to determine if you are the father or not. If you are not, that ends it. If you are, then you will be paying child support and you will have the right to file for visitation with your child.

Zigner

Huh? What the heck does ^ mean?? If you are found to be the biological father, then you are legally and morally responsible for your share of financial costs of this childs care. Your name will be placed on the BC and IF you choose to you may seek visitation with her.

If there is another man on the birth certificate as the father, then the OP has no legal obligation in the matter until such time as paternity is disestablished. The child support enforcement folks wouldn't be handling that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Then you should schedule genetic testing.

You shouldn't have had sex if you didn't want to be a father.

Just Blue

If there is another man on the birth certificate as the father, then the OP has no legal obligation in the matter until such time as paternity is disestablished. The child support enforcement folks wouldn't be handling that.
It sounds like that is what is happening.

Shawnparker1

What part exactly do you not understand?
My name is not on the birth certificate, the man she is currently with and raising the child with is on it. Apparently she cheated, he knows he’s not the father (genetic test less than a year) and are both raising the child together and are also engaged.

I can understand bearing responsibility if it is my child but in this case how can you not consider it theft? If he was the father (I don’t even know if I am) their circumstance would be identical, still together and a family. Now the only difference is someone is coming after me for money.

LdiJ

That dad's paternity might very well have been disestablished since the OP says that they found out that he was not the father since the mother and the (at the time) legal father found out about it in the child's first year. I not stating that it WAS absolutely disestablished. I am only saying that it might very well be.

Zigner

It sounds like that is what is happening.
Right - I'd like the OP to tell us how he knows that the other guy is listed as the father on the birth certificate. I'm beginning to think that he's not, at which point, everything you've all said is correct :)

Zigner

I can understand bearing responsibility if it is my child but in this case how can you not consider it theft?
Look, I'm going to make it simple: If you are determined to be the legal father of the child, then you have the legal responsibility to support the child.

Yes, it really is that simple. You should probably contact an attorney.

Shawnparker1

Right - I'd like the OP to tell us how he knows that the other guy is listed as the father on the birth certificate. I'm beginning to think that he's not, at which point, everything you've all said is correct
Because the woman told me a few years ago. She messaged me and explained this all to me. She told me I was one of a couple of men she slept with and that was that.
Fast forward three more years and I’m posting this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">