• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received cleaning charges from my previous apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BRG2019

Cincinnati, Ohio.

I recently vacated my apartment and received a letter from the apartment lease office for cleaning charges of $2000.

I replied back disputing the charges and the reason for disputes and never got any response.

I lived in the apartment for 4 1/2 years and they charged me for Carpet, Kitchen, bathroom cleaning and painting

Please help out how to handle this situation

LdiJ

Cincinnati, Ohio.

I recently vacated my apartment and received a letter from the apartment lease office for cleaning charges of $2000.

I replied back disputing the charges and the reason for disputes and never got any response.

I lived in the apartment for 4 1/2 years and they charged me for Carpet, Kitchen, bathroom cleaning and painting

Please help out how to handle this situation
Did you thoroughly clean before you left? Did you take pictures of the condition of the apartment? The paint was definitely past its useful life so they should not have charged you for that, and the carpet may have been past its useful life as well. You will have to sue the landlord in small claims court for the return of your deposit.

Gail in Georgia

In what condition was the rental unit at move out?

As previously asked, do you have pictures of the condition of the place when you moved out. Those would be helpful to dispute the landlords/managements claims that you left the rental unit in such condition that it required $2000 to clean and repaint.

Since you did not receive a response to your contact with them your next step is to consider a lawsuit IF this $2000 was taken out of your security deposit.

Gail

BRG2019

Did you thoroughly clean before you left? Did you take pictures of the condition of the apartment? The paint was definitely past its useful life so they should not have charged you for that, and the carpet may have been past its useful life as well. You will have to sue the landlord in small claims court for the return of your deposit.
Yes I cleaned up the apartment, But not taken any picture. The blinds were having some wear and tear which i expected their will be charge But not for paint & carpet. The putting a general term the apartment is covered with smoke. Which i was not able to accept.

Gail in Georgia

Did you smoke in the apartment? Even if inside smoking was allowed, this can leave much residue of nicotine on walls and ceilings, requiring not only washing but often priming and repainting to remove the odor.

Gail

BRG2019

As previously asked, do you have pictures of the condition of the place when you moved out. Those would be helpful to dispute the landlords/managements claims that you left the rental unit in such condition that it required $2000 to clean and repaint.

Since you did not receive a response to your contact with them your next step is to consider a lawsuit IF this $2000 was taken out of your security deposit.

Gail

Gail
I have not taken pictures when i moved out. But i have pictures when their was a leakage at my apartment that drained the wall and carpet. They have dectudted my security deposit $200 and they sent me a maintenance charge of $1800 to be paid within 30 days othrwise they will be charging more amount as fine.
Did you smoke in the apartment? Even if inside smoking was allowed, this can leave much residue of nicotine on walls and ceilings, requiring not only washing but often priming and repainting to remove the odor.

Gail
No, I never smoked inside my apartment.

quincy

If you never smoked in the apartment, how do you suppose there is a "smoke smell?" Was there a fire?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">