• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received parking ticket in Chicago - do I have a good defense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a $100 parking ticket for parking on a street that restricts parking between 6-11am. The violation cited was "NO STANDING/PARKING TIME RESTRICTED.

There was no sign visible when I parked there, and I have photos of a stump where a sign used to be but was cut down (which I assume was probably once a No Parking sign). The nearest No Parking sign is approximately 100-150 yards further down the road on a different section of curb. The street is broken up by parking garage entrance & exit in between where I parked and where the closest No Parking sign is located.

They took a picture of this sign and made it appear like it was close to where I parked. I don't own the vehicle that I was driving, it's my girlfriends so I don't know if this has any impact on the situation.

I cannot find any laws or regulations regarding the distance a No Parking sign can be from the spot; however, it is clear that it is not visible from my photos. Do I have a good defense? Anyone have suggestions for fighting parking tickets in Chicago? Thank you.

Last edited:

"They took a picture of this sign and made it appear like it was close to where I parked"
Was the sign and the car in the same photo?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you want to be condescending then why don't you find another thread to troll?
My posts are not condescending. I am simply pointing out that the cost of fighting this ticket on such shaky grounds is outweighed by the value of your time. Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps your time isn't worth much to you. If that's the case, then go for it. Maybe you'll get lucky.

My posts are not condescending. I am simply pointing out that the cost of fighting this ticket on such shaky grounds is outweighed by the value of your time. Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps your time isn't worth much to you. If that's the case, then go for it. Maybe you'll get lucky.
I you go back to my original post, I specifically asked if I had a good defense or if anyone has experience in contesting tickets in Chicago. I never asked if you think I should pay it or how little you think my time is worth.

Just Blue

I you go back to my original post, I specifically asked if I had a good defense or if anyone has experience in contesting tickets in Chicago. I never asked if you think I should pay it or how little you think my time is worth.
I suggest you hire an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">