• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received payment by mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevedude2

What is the name of your state? CA :)

I received a payment from an investment company that my deceased father had done business with in securities and stocks. I was a 1/3 beneficiary with my siblings and received my payment for this share. Over a year goes by and this company, PFS inc. sends another check for about $1,500 without explanation. It was mistakenly sent to me instead of my sister and they with held federal taxes out of it. They have paid her this amount that should have been in the first place. Now the company wants this money to be repaid. Do they have any legal grounds to ask for me to pay it back?
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

ALawyer

If the payment was in error, and you had no legal claim to it, the company is absolutely entitled to the money back. If you made a similar mistake, don't you think you'd be entitled to it back too? Sorry, but what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Only if a statute of limitiations had run would their claim for recovery be too late as a matter of law, and I dount that in your state there is a 1 year statute of limitations in matters of this type.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">