• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

received summons and notice..what do I do now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tm0123

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I received a "summons and notice to defendant" today on a credit card debt from 2003. The credit limit on the account was $350 and I made timely payments for over a year. Because of a late payment and the fees that were imposed, I was no longer able to make the minimum payments due. I paid $300 in 2003 and sent in what I could monthly after that. The debt was then turned over to collections and ultimately to an attorney. What do I do now? How do I file and answer to the complaint? I cannot afford an attorney and cannot afford the $1417.49 due. I also cannot afford to have my wages garnished. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ladynred

If you can't afford a garnishment, then you'd better file your Answer to the Complaint with a general denial of all allegations and show up for court. You could also call the attorney and see if you can make payment arrangemnets but do NOT fail to file your Answer no matter what you may agree to. Make sure you get ANY payment agreement IN WRITING or its worthless.

Info on how to file an Answer can be found here:

http://www.legalhelp.org/public/answering_complaint.php?PHPSESSID=93df416a6313149ed04196b77df65ab5

tm0123

one more question

In Arkansas, can my wages be garnished if I am a single mother (head of household)? Thank you for your advice.

RachelTN

Agree with the previous post 100%. Yes, anyone's paycheck can be garnished for any awarded judgement.

Ladynred

I'm afraid AR doesn't have a 'head of household' exemption from garnishment :(
That doesn't mean you don't have options. You can appeal a garnishment amount and most states allow what they call 'slow pay' which means you pay the court in lieu of garnishment and the judge decides what your payment is based on your financial statement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">