• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receiving callouts on time off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ScottyH

What is the name of your state? Washington

My employer (a large oil company) demands all hourly employees sign a statement on being hired that says the company will expect a reasonable amount of overtime.
However, the company is now stating that hourly employees must have a phone number on file in case the company wishes to contact them for callout on off-hours. At this time an employee can decline to come out when contacted; however the company demands the right to have a phone number on file.
Due to disputes on other callout practices, employees are looking to remove themselves from the callout list, saying that the "reasonable amount" of overtime can be accomplished by simply working on at the end of shift, as is often done. However there is no doubt that the company does and will need people in the middle of the night for repairs.
So, should the company have the right to demand a phone number? If one does not have a landline, should an employee have to bear the cost of the cell phone minutes to receive such a call? The company has threatened to place any employee who refuses to file a number with them "in violation of the hiring requirements".
Believe me I understand the very logical and obvious solution to this is to either not answer the phone or state they are in a position where they cannot come out ( babysitting, had a few drinks, etc). However, some employees feel a stand should be made and the company should bear a greater burden of the costs of both callouts and phone support from their employees. Anyone have any guidance or experience with similar issues?
Thanks
Scotty

moburkes

What they are asking is not illegal. Its up to you if you're willing to be disciplined, including terminated, over it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">