• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receiving workmans comp with new job offer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thirston123

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I am currently receiving workman's comp and I am not yet back to work. I tripped and fell at work and fractured my wrist. I will be going back to the doctors on the 19th of November and will probably be cleared to return to work in some capacity.

I just received a job offer (they are aware of injury) that I would like to accept. I guess I am looking for advice on how to handle this concerning my present employer with regards to my claim and possibly any settlement that may be offered.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I am currently receiving workman's comp and I am not yet back to work. I tripped and fell at work and fractured my wrist. I will be going back to the doctors on the 19th of November and will probably be cleared to return to work in some capacity.

I just received a job offer (they are aware of injury) that I would like to accept. I guess I am looking for advice on how to handle this concerning my present employer with regards to my claim and possibly any settlement that may be offered.
You can accept the offer. The fact that you can return to work will naturally affect any settlement. You should go over your claim with an attorney in your area before approaching your current employer.

adjusterjack

Your weekly benefits are likely to be reduced or eliminated depending on the nature of the work you can perform and the amount of your wages.

There wouldn't be a "settlement" if your wrist becomes fully healed and you returned to work with no limitations. "Settlement" are generally reserved for loss of earnings capacity due to an ongoing disability.

By the way, it's not the employer you approach, it's the insurance company that's paying the benefits. Talk to your WC claim rep.

quincy

Your weekly benefits are likely to be reduced or eliminated depending on the nature of the work you can perform and the amount of your wages.

There wouldn't be a "settlement" if your wrist becomes fully healed and you returned to work with no limitations. "Settlement" are generally reserved for loss of earnings capacity due to an ongoing disability.

By the way, it's not the employer you approach, it's the insurance company that's paying the benefits. Talk to your WC claim rep.
thirston123 would approach his employer to say he was quitting his job.

quincy

Yes I would put in my 2 weeks notice.
Sounds good. Again, though, you might want to delay submitting your two week notice until you learn more about your worker’s compensation - because submitting a two week notice often means a quick on-the-spot, not-waiting-for-two-weeks goodbye from your current employer. :)

Good luck.

quincy

Thanks all for the advice and Quincy I will be sure to check on that before I submit my notice.

Thanks again
We appreciate the thanks, thirston123, so thank you.

Good luck with both your current employer and your workers compensation, and with your new job with your new employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">