• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recently divorced. Ex-spouse refuses to refinance home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amandalynn25

Living in Washington state, I tried to be amicable by not going through court during the divorce or hiring an attorney (of course now I am regretting it)
My ex-spouse has taken my name off the deed but now refuses to remove me from the mortgage loan because it requires her refinancing and she claims she isn't in a financial place for that right now, even though I pay her $6k a month in alimony/spousal support plus her own income which is about 5k-6k. She is making more money than me.
I don't know what to do.

Just Blue

Living in Washington state, I tried to be amicable by not going through court during the divorce or hiring an attorney (of course now I am regretting it)
My ex-spouse has taken my name off the deed but now refuses to remove me from the mortgage loan because it requires her refinancing and she claims she isn't in a financial place for that right now, even though I pay her $6k a month in alimony/spousal support plus her own income which is about 5k-6k. She is making more money than me.
I don't know what to do.
How did you get a divorce finalized without going to court? Did you sign the quit claim? If so...Why did you sign off before refinance? When was the divorce?

LdiJ

I don't know what to do.
There is not much that you can do if refinancing wasn't a requirement in the divorce decree. Does she even have the credit to refinance?

Amandalynn25

How did you get a divorce finalized without going to court? Did you sign the quit claim? If so...Why did you sign off before refinance? When was the divorce?
Sorry, posting on behalf of a friend and yes he did file through a court but nothing was contested they made terms and both agreed to them. I don't know why he signed the deed before the refi was done. I was shocked to hear that part.
The divorce was final in JUNE

Litigator22

My ex-spouse has taken my name off the deed but now refuses to remove me from the mortgage loan because it requires her refinancing and she claims she isn't in a financial place for that right now, even though I pay her $6k a month in alimony/spousal support plus her own income which is about 5k-6k. She is making more money than me. I don't know what to do.
Correction! You wife has not taken your name off of the bloody deed!

If it makes you feel any better, paint this "evil monster" any color you wish. But please don't insult our intelligence and come crying to us claiming that she's taken your home from you!

You either voluntarily gave it to her (most likely by quitclaim deed as per a post nuptial) OR a family court awarded it to her as her sole and separate property.

And the reason you "don't know what to do" is because you don't know any more now than you did in allowing your ill-placed conservatism and self-confidence to mess it up in the first place. But lay it out for your attorney to review, not before total strangers. The two you may have screwed it up so bad that there is a leak somewhere.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Correction! You wife has not taken your name off of the bloody deed!

If it makes you feel any better, paint this "evil monster" any color you wish. But please don't insult our intelligence and come crying to us claiming that she's taken your home from you!

You either voluntarily gave it to her (most likely by quitclaim deed as per a post nuptial) OR a family court awarded it to her as her sole and separate property.

And the reason you "don't know what to do" is because you don't know any more now than you did in allowing your ill-placed conservatism and self-confidence to mess it up in the first place. But lay it out for your attorney to review, not before total strangers. The two you may have screwed it up so bad that there is a leak somewhere.
Dude! Lighten up! It's not even OP's situation. Or didn't you bother to read the entire thread?

Just Blue

Sorry, posting on behalf of a friend and yes he did file through a court but nothing was contested they made terms and both agreed to them. I don't know why he signed the deed before the refi was done. I was shocked to hear that part.
The divorce was final in JUNE
And you are a prime example of why we prefer to deal with the legal party and not a well meaning friend/love interest. You don't know the facts. Please have your friend join with his own user name so we can assist him. Thanks...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">