• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I was driving south on I-5 from Seattle to Vancouver. It was 4:45pm, clear dry day, not a lot of traffic, and I was driving in the fast lane at 110mph in a 70mph area. Other drivers ahead of me were moving to the right to allow me to pass so I was not weaving in and out of traffic. I was pulled over as I approached Kelso. The officer told me that he was patroling the northbound lane by radar when he seen me speeding in the southbound lane. I was very cooperative from when the State Patrol officer first approached my car until when he left me sitting in the county jail. He arrested me for Reckless Driving and I am guilty, assuming that the officer's report matches what I have just shared with you. I was doing 110mph. I am 34 years old and have a clean driving record, but do have a criminal record as recent as 1994. I am NOW aware of the penalties for Reckless Driving. I have talked to several family members and friends, and even had a meeting with a lawyer. I'm not sure what to do. My support members are 50/50 on what to do and of course the lawyer wants the $3,500 so he is trying to scare me into retaining him. Is it really possible to go into court and get a Reckless Driving reduced to an infraction, say a Negligent Driving Second Degree, without a lawyer present? That's what the lawyer told me he would "shoot for", so I was wondering why couldn't I ask for the same thing. Others tell me to plead guilty immediately and the court will take it easy on me. My first court date is on the 29th.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Last edited:

I'm not sure what to do.
Slow down.

Also, retain a lawyer. You say you're "now aware" of the penalties, so one would assume you'd be smart enough to shell out some dough to get this reduced. You *could* go it alone, but you probably ought not. Don't take this personally, but you don't exactly sound like the type that is really "in the know" when it comes to legal matters.

In my state, an offense like this could result in a felony conviction. A lawyer could potentially get it reduced to a non-felony moving violation. Also, as far as the court taking it easy on you, I highly doubt that, as they have no incentive to take it easy on someone who treats the interstate like the Laguna Seca Raceway.


Senior Member
$3500 for the attorney is a bargain, you are looking at a felony reckless. Besides some very stiff fines, you are looking at some time in jail and loss of driving priveliges for a year. You can try to negotiate this yourself but the DA doesn't know you from Adam, he likely is on a first name basis with most attorneys. Who do you think he would trust?

like the Laguna Seca Raceway.
It's Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential