• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lundheat

minneasota
No alcohol or drugs involved

I was picking up my son from school when this all occurred. There is a parent pickup area and a community officer was directing traffic. She gave me the go ahead to move my vehicle. So with the go ahead I turned right and my car was slightly still in the road because other parents were still not moving forward. This woman knocked on my window and told me I had to move. I was at a 90 degree angle from the way she wanted me to go. I said I was just picking up my son and if I go forward I am not allowed to turn for like a mile and a half up the road. Which would still be considered an illegal u turn. She didn’t listen yelled at me she is not blocking traffic for me. I moved out of the way but my tires screeched as I was taking a sharp turn. I then turned around and came back the other way. I picked up my son but when leaving the pickup area she hit my car and told me to stop which I did. I rolled down the window and she began yelling at me about how I shouldn’t be mad. At this point she was scaring my kids and me because she had her hand on her holster. I told her she was a community officer and I would be leaving. She then yelled that she was going to write me a ticket as she walked away to direct traffic again. I left the school and came home shook up obviously. I got a call a couple of hours later from the police department. Apparently they had opened up a case against me and wanted to talk. I told them the above story in which he told me that I was blocking traffic, not following her directions to turn 10 seconds faster than I did (and then turning to fast?) fleeing an officer and my favorite reckless driving?!? So I would like to know if any of this would even be something they could charge me with? I have no criminal history and had two kids in the car during this ordeal.

quincy

minneasota
No alcohol or drugs involved

I was picking up my son from school when this all occurred. There is a parent pickup area and a community officer was directing traffic. She gave me the go ahead to move my vehicle. So with the go ahead I turned right and my car was slightly still in the road because other parents were still not moving forward. This woman knocked on my window and told me I had to move. I was at a 90 degree angle from the way she wanted me to go. I said I was just picking up my son and if I go forward I am not allowed to turn for like a mile and a half up the road. Which would still be considered an illegal u turn. She didn’t listen yelled at me she is not blocking traffic for me. I moved out of the way but my tires screeched as I was taking a sharp turn. I then turned around and came back the other way. I picked up my son but when leaving the pickup area she hit my car and told me to stop which I did. I rolled down the window and she began yelling at me about how I shouldn’t be mad. At this point she was scaring my kids and me because she had her hand on her holster. I told her she was a community officer and I would be leaving. She then yelled that she was going to write me a ticket as she walked away to direct traffic again. I left the school and came home shook up obviously. I got a call a couple of hours later from the police department. Apparently they had opened up a case against me and wanted to talk. I told them the above story in which he told me that I was blocking traffic, not following her directions to turn 10 seconds faster than I did (and then turning to fast?) fleeing an officer and my favorite reckless driving?!? So I would like to know if any of this would even be something they could charge me with? I have no criminal history and had two kids in the car during this ordeal.
First, I want to thank you for changing the placement of your thread. It was not really necessary but this is a more appropriate section of the forum for your questions. :)

You could be charged with what the community officer reported to the police department as violations. If you are charged, you will want an attorney in your area to help with your defense.

From the sounds of it, the incident at the school was the result of simple miscommunication.

The community officer might have been relishing her power as traffic cop a bit too much to clearly explain what she wanted/expected you to do but the community officer was also tasked with protecting students so her banging on your car might have been understandable if she thought your car's movements could endanger children.

Lundheat

First, I want to thank you for changing the placement of your thread. It was not really necessary but this is a more appropriate section of the forum for your questions. :)

You could be charged with what the community officer reported to the police department as violations. If you are charged, you will want an attorney in your area to help with your defense.

From the sounds of it, the incident at the school was the result of simple miscommunication.

The community officer might have been relishing her power as traffic cop a bit too much to clearly explain what she wanted/expected you to do but the community officer was also tasked with protecting students so her banging on your car might have been understandable if she thought your car's movements could endanger children.
When she banged on my car I was just coming up to the exit from the parking lot. I was not trying to enter traffic until she gave me the go ahead

Lundheat

When she banged on my car I was just coming up to the exit from the parking lot. I was not trying to enter traffic until she gave me the go ahead
I just don’t understand how she can charge me with anything number 1 because I listened to her and 2 because she is a community service officer? She was trying to intimidate me by putting her hand on her holster. What exactly can they charge me with???

quincy

I think from your description that the officer's directions were hard to understand and follow. I think from your description that the officer was not having a very good day.

Whether charges result from the incident is a question mark.

Lundheat

When I talked to the officer he was concerned really with the fact that I said that she was a community officer and also the tires making noise when I turned back into traffic. I didn’t speed up like a crazy person I think it was just due to the fact I was taking a sharp turn off of the parking lot entrance

Lundheat

Basically I need to know what the worst case scenario is for me? I have two kids to think about and do not understand how I can be liable for all of those things when I wasn’t endangering anyone? I guess I should start calling lawyers or something tomorrow just Incase they do decide to charge me with something.

Basically I need to know what the worst case scenario is for me? I have two kids to think about and do not understand how I can be liable for all of those things when I wasn’t endangering anyone? I guess I should start calling lawyers or something tomorrow just Incase they do decide to charge me with something.
Best wait and see if they actually charge you with anything.

quincy

Reckless driving is a misdemeanor when no one is injured. It is one of the more serious of the claims the officer has made against you.

Here is a link to the law:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.13
If charged (and, again, I don't know how likely charges are), you will want an attorney.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Lundheat

Best wait and see if they actually charge you with anything.
I understand I just have never been in this situation before and am truly terrified after looking at the different possible punishments like jail time. I have been crying for hours and I just don’t know what to do with my self to feel better. I have a very hard time distracting myself.

quincy

I understand I just have never been in this situation before and am truly terrified after looking at the different possible punishments like jail time. I have been crying for hours and I just don’t know what to do with my self to feel better. I have a very hard time distracting myself.
Jail time is unlikely. Charges probably are not all that likely.

I recommend you don't worry until there is reason to worry - and, if that time actually comes, hand over your worry to an attorney.

You said that when the police called you they said that they had opened up a case against you. This would infer that the community officer knew you or somehow got your phone number. Contact the police department records division and ask for a copy of the incident report and also the name of the officer assigned to the case.

Lundheat

You said that when the police called you they said that they had opened up a case against you. This would infer that the community officer knew you or somehow got your phone number. Contact the police department records division and ask for a copy of the incident report and also the name of the officer assigned to the case.
Originally they called my husbands phone number and in turn he gave them my phone number. So I’m assuming she took down my license plate at some point and got the information from another officer not sure if a community officer has access to that information alone

Lundheat

Jail time is unlikely. Charges probably are not all that likely.

I recommend you don't worry until there is reason to worry - and, if that time actually comes, hand over your worry to an attorney.
Thank you I appreciate you saying that. As I have never had a run in with the police before I just don’t know how to think about it. I agree I shouldn’t get upset about it.

quincy

Well ... after relieving you of some of your anxiety, I am afraid the following could work the opposite way.

I missed on first read that "fleeing police" is also a claim being made against you by the officer. Here is a link to that law. It can be charged as a felony.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.487
Your personal contact information most likely was obtained from your license plate registration.

Contact an attorney if/when necessary. You should refrain from saying anything more to the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">