• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lundheat

Well ... after relieving you of some of your anxiety, I am afraid the following could work the opposite way.

I missed on first read that "fleeing police" is also a claim being made against you by the officer. Here is a link to that law. It can be charged as a felony.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.487
Your personal contact information most likely was obtained from your license plate registration.

Contact an attorney if/when necessary. You should refrain from saying anything more to the police.
When I asked the officer at the end of the conversation of possible charges the only 1 he listed was reckless driving. He didn’t mention any of the other things he had talked about previously in the conversation. The woman walked away from me so I assumed I could leave because she began directing traffic again.

quincy

When I asked the officer at the end of the conversation of possible charges the only 1 he listed was reckless driving. He didn’t mention any of the other things he had talked about previously in the conversation. The woman walked away from me so I assumed I could leave because she began directing traffic again.
Good. Reckless driving is not great but it is better than a felony.

I believe your story, Lundheat. I think there were unclear directions given to you by the officer and that you followed these unclear directions as you thought the officer meant them to be followed.

I don't know what will happen as far as charges go, though.

bcr229

I can't help with the current situation but I'll assume that it's likely you'll have to pick up/drop off your son in the future so you will encounter this officer again. I would invest in a dash cam, they're not expensive and they can help greatly in he-said she-said cases.

Also if your tires chirp when making tight turns they could be a bit low on pressure, so you'll want to check them even if you have a monitoring system that indicates they are ok.

Lundheat

I can't help with the current situation but I'll assume that it's likely you'll have to pick up/drop off your son in the future so you will encounter this officer again. I would invest in a dash cam, they're not expensive and they can help greatly in he-said she-said cases.

Also if your tires chirp when making tight turns they could be a bit low on pressure, so you'll want to check them even if you have a monitoring system that indicates they are ok.
This was his last day going and I will not have him attend next year because it is optional and also much to expensive to be dealing with this crap. I will be purchasing a dash cam still though after this.

Lundheat

So I got a phone call from the police department again. I was going to let it go to voicemail but this police officer told me he would call me back with news so I answered. He is giving me a citation for “Fail to take instruction by bus flagger”. So I guess that is considered a petty misdemeanor right? How this officer tried to scare me is wrong but I was polite anyway. So I guess this isn’t a big deal right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They didn't "chirp", they "screeched".

LdiJ

So I got a phone call from the police department again. I was going to let it go to voicemail but this police officer told me he would call me back with news so I answered. He is giving me a citation for “Fail to take instruction by bus flagger”. So I guess that is considered a petty misdemeanor right? How this officer tried to scare me is wrong but I was polite anyway. So I guess this isn’t a big deal right?
Its certainly much less of a deal than anything else the officer discussed with you previously. However, depending on what the fine is and/or the points involved on your driving record you have the option of fighting the citation in court. Your story is pretty credible that the officier gave unclear instructions.

Lundheat

Its certainly much less of a deal than anything else the officer discussed with you previously. However, depending on what the fine is and/or the points involved on your driving record you have the option of fighting the citation in court. Your story is pretty credible that the officier gave unclear instructions.
I agree I will probably take this to court as I think she was just upset about the situation and wanted to punish me for not being able to read her mind. This whole thing was blown way out of proportion and I think she took her bad day out on me. This woman has yelled at several other parents before this incident happened with me. Typical cops around here unfortunately.

quincy

"Fail to take instruction by bus flagger," Minnesota Statute 169.06 sub 4b(b), is a petty misdemeanor, which is the lowest level Minnesota offense.

A petty misdemeanor is an offense prohibited by statute but is not considered a crime. There is no jail time. The maximum sentence is a fine - for 2019, it is $300 with a $75 general surcharge.

A dash cam and/or witnesses could help you if you try to argue the fine.

Lundheat

"Fail to take instruction by bus flagger," Minnesota Statute 169.06 sub 4b(b), is a petty misdemeanor, which is the lowest level Minnesota offense.

A petty misdemeanor is an offense prohibited by statute but is not considered a crime. There is no jail time. The maximum sentence is a fine - for 2019, it is $300 with a $75 general surcharge.

A dash cam and/or witnesses could help you if you try to argue the fine.
Yeah the school my son went to unfortunately has kids coming from all over the twin cities and wouldn’t be able to find a witness except for my own children. I’m just happy that I am not dealing with something that could really affect my life.

quincy

Yeah the school my son went to unfortunately has kids coming from all over the twin cities and wouldn’t be able to find a witness except for my own children. I’m just happy that I am not dealing with something that could really affect my life.
Yes. It is fortunate that you are only going to be cited for the petty misdemeanor.

Good luck.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes, being polite is always a good idea. ("Minnesota nice", not NYC polite. ;) )

$375 is not exactly nothing.

I am wondering how often this woman has done this. It seems like it would take time away from her job to call in every parent that she's yelled at.

You have my sympathy. I hate dropping off/picking up my kid at her current school - it's very difficult to interpret what you're being directed to do, if you aren't a "regular". A lot of people like the crossing guard. I didn't like her when she was assigned downtown, and was glad that she was replaced by traffic lights, only to get stuck with her at my kid's school. (I try to obey the rules and yield to pedestrians, and when I've come to a full stop before the stop line, I find it stressful when someone directs repeated panicky gestures at me to stop, rather than acknowledging that I've already stopped.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't have sympathy because this calm, rational, polite parent ADMITS to angrily turning the corner in a school zone in such an aggressive manner that her tires "screeched" (OP's word, not mine).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">