• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

record a court hearing for personal records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sduves

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
are you allowed to record a court hearing for your personal records? i.e., i want to have a record of a court hearing for my own records, is that allowed? is recording in general allowed, so i can have proof of what the other party says?

BL

I do not know the answer to your specific questioning of recording .

I can tell you of the few times I've been in small claims court , I have never seen or has anyone requested having the proceeding recorded .

If heard by a Judge it will be microphone recorded or by court reporter .

I personally have obtained a transcript .

While the transcript may not be 100 % accurate , an appeals would be based on law , not a slight error of what was said . Remember proof of some sorts have to be introduced .

Do a google search on NY small claims court .

New York City Small Claims Court

Guide to Small Claims Court NYS* Unified Court System Judith S

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Not only is it NOT allowed, the court officers will confiscate your recording equipment as you go through the metal detector.

As BL noted, if you elect to proceed before a judge, the proceedings are tape recorded by the court, and you can call and order a printed transcript based on the tape. If you go with the arbitrator, you get no recording and no transcript.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">