• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording a conversation in KY and allowing third party to post on Internet in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isabella19

I live in the state of Kentucky. My granddaughter recorded a conversation between us which took place in my living room of which I was unaware, then gave it to her step-mother to post on her Facebook account. She did not post the whole conversation but only part of it to slander me. Do I have legal recourse and, if so, against which one of them (or both).

quincy

I live in the state of Kentucky. My granddaughter recorded a conversation between us which took place in my living room of which I was unaware, then gave it to her step-mother to post on her Facebook account. She did not post the whole conversation but only part of it to slander me. Do I have legal recourse and, if so, against which one of them (or both).
Was anything that was said about you false? Was editing done to change the meaning of your words?

What harm has come to your reputation as a result of the publication?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Kentucky is a one-party state. She does not need your permission.

Posting your own words is not slander.

quincy

Kentucky is a one-party state. She does not need your permission.

Posting your own words is not slander.
Editing a recording to make it appear you are saying something you're not can be defamatory or could support a false light claim, however, as can adding text to go along with a recording.

quincy

Surreptitious recording is rarely smart, even when recording is legal.

This is because people who record conversations surreptitiously often do not properly handle what has been recorded. It is the publication of these recordings that tend to create legal problems for the ones who make the recordings.

HRZ

You should now be smart enough not to say anything but polite dribble to granddaughter or her mother.

BTW how old is GD?

quincy

Saying nothing objectionable is always a good idea.

But if the contents of a recording are edited in a way that paints Isabella in a false light or if text is added to a published recording that defames Isabella, even sticking to "polite dribble" will not necessarily protect her from a granddaughter or stepmother out to do harm.

It would be nice if Isabella would return to answer the questions previously asked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">