• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording a Conversation...what is legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

It requires all party consent unless it is an oral communication where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy

freakinhobo

So 2 situations...

They state on the phone they are recording the conversation for both our records prior to starting....

or they have another person present in a home they are building do I have to be aware they are recording?

adjusterjack

They state on the phone they are recording the conversation for both our records prior to starting....
That's legal because you've been giving notice of the recording and if you object to the recording you can just hang up.

If you say that you don't consent to being record they can say "sorry, sir, we can't talk to you." So, if it's something compelling that you have to take care of in the conversation, then you consent to the recording.

or they have another person present in a home they are building do I have to be aware they are recording?
If you were party to the conversation you would have to consent to the recording of the conversation but I don't understand what that has to do with being "in a home they are building." Who is "they" and why are "they" recording conversations that involve you?

quincy

It is always best to get consent before recording, whether consent is required under the law or not. And, for both phone conversations and in-person conversations, if consent is granted, this consent should be recorded.

adjusterjack

It is always best to get consent before recording, whether consent is required under the law or not.
Disagree.

In states where consent is not required, it would be foolish to ask for it or to reveal that the conversation is being recorded.

quincy

Disagree.

In states where consent is not required, it would be foolish to ask for it or to reveal that the conversation is being recorded.
Although I was speaking of Florida and specifically the "situation number two" freakinhobo asked about (expectation of privacy), I believe it is smarter to get consent to record all conversations (with very few exceptions).

There can be legal issues raised with any surreptitiously recorded audio or video. These issues are eliminated when permission for recording is granted.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Yep, I do a lot of cross state arbitration hearings. We tell people prior to going on record that we will be recording and then we state that again once the recording has started so we have proof that there is consent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">