• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recoup rent for mistake on lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lj

(State of IL.) The landlord agreeed to give me a 3mo lease (6/1/00 to 8/31/00). The clerk typed 8/31/01 making it a 15mo lease. I stayed in the apartment until the middle of Nov. continuing to pay rent monthly. After I moved, I inquired about my secruity deposit, the landlord told me the deposit was lost because "I broke the lease."

Although the lease is for 15 months, the grand total printed on the lease adds up to 3 months rent. Since the lease is law, can I go after the landlord for the additional rent I paid?

lj

T

TimC

If the landlord wants to argue, then insist that the amount you paid is sufficient to cover the rent for the entire rental period. In other words, if he wants to stick to the letter of the lease, then you have the right to stay there until 8/31/01 without paying any more money, prohibiting him from renting it out to anyone else.

L

LisaS

I don't know if I would go after the landlord for the add't rent you paid since you did live there those months, but I would definitely get my security deposit back because that you are entitled to as long as there was no damage done to the apartment you resided in. In your lease there should be a section on the security deposit stating that you get it back as long as there is no property damage. Call your local housing authority.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">