• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recourse or non recourse mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brian Ewing

I'm a disabled vet. My wife is also disabled. I need to know if I can "walk away" from my mortgage and turn the deed back over to the mortgage company?

quincy

I'm a disabled vet. My wife is also disabled. I need to know if I can "walk away" from my mortgage and turn the deed back over to the mortgage company?
You always have the option of walking away from your house and mortgage. But there are legal consequences for doing so.

FlyingRon

Being a veteran doesn't change whether the loan is recourse or not. It matters mostly what state you are in (and perhaps the type of property financed). If it is a VA loan, the VA can help you if you are behind on your payments, see: https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/
If not, I suggest you talk to the lender about other options (deed in lieu, short sale, etc...) rather than walking away.

Walking away will TRASH your credit rating in any circumstances. Whether there is any monetary issues further depends on whether the loan is recourse or not and how much equity there is in the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">