• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Ken Springer

On 6/23/98 I retained a lawyer to pursue a civil case of fraud (theft by deception) involving 3050 shares of stock contracted and purchased by the defendant. Although we had a contact none of these shares were ever surrendered to me. My lawyer handled the case and we won on a defaultin 3/30/99. The defendant didn't respond to the charges.
My lawyer has asked for an additional retainer which I immediately provided without hesitation. Although we won I have since been after my attorney to take the next steps and petition the court for restitution preferably garnishing the defendants wages. Since March 1999 I have been unable to get my attorney to do anything. In fact he has not returned my calls and has repeatedly cancelled meetings and has been avoiding any contact. When asked he says he is too busy! I have been patient but since 3/30/99 he has done nothing! I would get another attorney but do not want to walk away from the balance of my retainer. He provided one billing statement in Feb of '99 debting $2709 to my $3250 retainer leaving a balance of $540. What recourse do I have to get either get him to act on my case or to get him to return the unused portion of my retainer. Can I escalate to the ABA or Better Business Bureau.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential