• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recoverable Depreciation: Legal responsibility of Ins. Co. and Insured?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

econ101

What is the name of your state? NC

Hey all, I have been trying to close a HO7 Enhanced Coverage Homeowner Policy claim in NC for damage caused by neighbors trees. The auto and personal property claims have settled. The actual cash value (ACV) for all damage repairs related to the dwelling and outbuilding (shed) claims has been paid by the Ins. Co. The final payment has come down to a question related to recoverable depreciation (RCV) holdback. There was RCV included on two items in the dwelling repair estimates related to roofing material and repair/replacement of the shed. The RCV and holdback amounts are noted as separate line items on the estimates.

The Ins. Co. originally requested and confirms receipt of photo evidence that roofing repairs and shed replacement were completed. However, the Ins. Co. is now refusing to release the supplemental payment for RCV pending receipt of "a final invoice for all repairs". This includes individual invoices for repair/replacement of items both related and unrelated to RCV holdback, ie. items for which they provided ACV repair/replacement cost estimates and already paid. In essence, they claim the right to keep the RCV amount related to roof repair and shed replacement if invoices are not provided for repair/replacement of unrelated items that did not incur RCV holdback on their estimates.

When asked to identify exactly which policy provision was being used to justify withholding RCV in this instance, the Property Adjuster failed to answer definitively. He simply responded "Regarding the request for receipt of all costs in order to release the RCV payment: It is everyday practice that we request documentation for incurred costs on a claim to release the RCV payment, your agent should be able to confirm that this is in fact a policy provision." His supervisor pointed to a general provision simply saying the Ins. Co. has a right to ask for documentation of repairs. The agent is clueless as to internal claim procedure specifics.

Everything in my policy says they are legally obligated to pay ACV and will further pay RCV holdback upon separate claim and receipt of requested documentation. Again, RCV is a line item associated with a particular repair and Insureds are required to notify Ins. Co. separately of a claim for RCV (done). All of which can reasonably be interpreted as requiring repair/replacement documentation for the line item that actually incurred the RCV holdback. I can find nothing to the contrary or specifically stating that claim and recovery of RCV holdback for a specific item can be conditioned on anything else. I'm wondering if this is somehow a CYA move by the Property Adjuster who may have failed to properly document before paying ACV.

In any event, IMHO, this request at this time seems both unnecessary and unreasonable. A call to NC DOI inquiry line suggests that conditioning payment of RCV on anything other than evidence that the RCV repair in question was completed does seem inappropriate and perhaps even unenforceable. Of course, they are quick to add they can't provide legal advice, and encourage a formal DOI complaint to elicit a formal response from the Ins. Co. corporate office. A formal DOI complaint would put my claim at the Ins. Co. on hold for who knows how long (it has already been over 8 months since date of loss).

I'd prefer to put a few questions to the community here first:

Q.1) Can a Ins. Co. offering enhanced replacement cost homeowners insurance in NC that settles on an ACV basis legally refuse to pay RCV holdback for a specific repair, after confirming receipt of requested documentation to evidence repair or replacement of the item directly related to the RCV? For example, can the return of RCV originally attributed to the shed replacement legally be conditioned on producing an invoice for replacement of a dwelling light fixture for which no RCV applies and ACV has already been paid?

Q.2) If yes, what if that light fixture was replaced by the D.I.Y. homeowner with a fixture for less than the ACV amount estimated by the Ins. Co. and already paid to the Insured? Can the Ins. Co. legally 'claw back' any difference from ACV paid, or use this as legal justification to reduce RCV on an unrelated item by a like amount, to pay a lesser net RCV amount?

Q.3) If yes, what legal obligation does an Insured who owns their home free and clear actually have to repair or replace any damaged item after receipt of the ACV settlement payment? The same Ins. Co. simply inspected, estimated damage repair cost on my vehicle and cut a check for ACV saying you own it outright, so you can either fix it or drive it with the dents. Your choice, we don't care. Similarly speaking, absent any outstanding RCV amount or requirement by lienholders, what does any Ins. Co. even care what happens after they cut a ACV check for home damages?

Thanks for your input.

adjusterjack

The Loss Settlement provisions of a standard HO policy says the following:

"Buildings covered under Coverage A or B at replacement cost without deduction for depreciation, subject to the following: a. If, at the time of loss, the amount of insurance in this policy on the damaged building is 80% or more of the full replacement cost of the building immediately before the loss, we will pay the cost to repair or replace, after application of any deductible and without deduction for depreciation, but not more than the least of the following amounts:
(1) The limit of liability under this policy that applies to the building;
(2) The replacement cost of that part of the building damaged with material of like kind and quality and for like use; or (
3) The necessary amount actually spent to repair or replace the damaged building."

I have over-emphasized that phrase because it is the smoking gun that ENTITLES the insurer to require paid invoices and/or receipts for the work completed.

Now go read your policy and see if the same or similar wording.

If the wording is different and/or you still have doubts, feel free to quote the entire loss settlement section, word for word, for me to review.

If you did the work yourself and have receipts for materials, submit them and you will get part of the recoverable depreciation to the extent that your receipts total more than the ACV.

If you brought the repairs in for the ACV or less, then you are not entitled to the recoverable depreciation. But you don't lose any of the ACV. That answers Q2.

BTW, nobody at the insurance department is a claims person reading your policy. You would have to make a formal complaint, in writing. Then the investigator will write to the claims department asking for an explanation. The claims person will write back with the valid reasons for requiring receipts or invoices. The investigator will write back to you that the claims people did nothing that violated any statutes.

Last edited:

econ101

Thank you, I tried to post a photocopy of the exact wording but the Insert Image command above asks for a URL, not an image file address on your computer. Are photos prohibited?

While I look for a workaround, to be clear, there are 2 buildings involved, the Dwelling and Other Outbuilding (shed). Like the personal property claim, they are accounted for independently on separate estimates and each of these estimates includes a separate line for applicable RCV. Not sure how or why the repair cost of one affects the repair cost of the other when the Ins. Co. accounts for them separately.

adjusterjack

Photos are fine, but this site's software is not set up for uploading files from your computer. You can use a photo hosting site and provide a link to it. Or if you have a digital copy of the policy on your computer either word or pdf you can copy text and paste the text here.

I'm not sure what you are asking in the second paragraph but if you find a photo hosting site I'd be happy to look at the insurer's estimates from which they paid the ACV on each building.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">