• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recovering Losses.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Someone made a left hand turn in front of me and caused $7400 dollars damage to my 1967 Camaro. The insurance company will only give me $3000 for the car since they think it is total loss. The insurance company does not go by blue book value. They say they go by fair market value for my area. I could not find one car in my area like this. Do I have any rights here? Does California have some type of insurance law that let's them get away with this? How do I recover my losses? Do I need to sue someone, and if so what are my chances?


Senior Member
They did everything by the book. And there is no such thing as a blue book value on a 34 year old car. As an owner of an older collector vehicle (66 GTO), I know that I could never recover the value of the car under current insurance policies. There are many specialty insurance companies that specialize in the insurance of older vehicles. It only costs me $120 a year and guarantees full replacement value above a regular insurance company payout. It is a little late for you to take advantage of it now. You can sue the owner of the vehicle that hit you and hope you get a judge that has an interest in cars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential