• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recovery of deleted text messages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbeck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am trying to get information on how to receive transcripts of deleted text messages. My service provider, AT&T, is advising me that it is not passible, that content of text messages is not received. I am aware however, of text messages being used in court cases around the world on a nearly daily basis as evidence.

It is essential that I get copies of these messages. How do I go about this? How can AT&T tell me they do not keep records when they do? if I subpoena them through the court will they be forced to give me the information? When calling AT&T directly I can not even get someone to transfer me to their legal department so I can speak with someone directly about this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you know for an absolute fact, of course, that in all these court cases that you personally are aware of, that the texts messages had definitely been deleted and that all of them were through AT&T?

There's no possibility whatsoever that all around the world, none of these cases that you are so certain of had different carriers and/or were using undeleted texts?

Name a few of these cases.

Just Blue

I am trying to get information on how to receive transcripts of deleted text messages. My service provider, AT&T, is advising me that it is not passible, that content of text messages is not received. I am aware however, of text messages being used in court cases around the world on a nearly daily basis as evidence.

It is essential that I get copies of these messages. How do I go about this? How can AT&T tell me they do not keep records when they do? if I subpoena them through the court will they be forced to give me the information? When calling AT&T directly I can not even get someone to transfer me to their legal department so I can speak with someone directly about this.
When were these text messages deleted? What is the need for them?

Mass_Shyster

The official stance of every cell carrier I've worked with is that they delete the messages immediately upon delivery.

I don't believe it for a second, but that's their story and they're sticking to.

Maybe you could ask NSA for a copy.

LdiJ

The official stance of every cell carrier I've worked with is that they delete the messages immediately upon delivery.

I don't believe it for a second, but that's their story and they're sticking to.

Maybe you could ask NSA for a copy.
I believe them. Why? Because the amount of storage space to store the billions of text messages that go out every day would be extreme.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

What do you hope to "prove" with these text messages?

If your goal is to show an adulterous affair - don't waste your time. If your goal is to show something useful - like wasteful dissipation of marital assets - there are far better and easier ways to do that.

commentator

So you received and then deleted these text messages, and now you want copies of them from your AT&T service? And they're telling you that they do not have the context of these deleted text messages? "....the context of these messages is not received."Sounds pretty reasonable. Do you think that somewhere out there in the ozone, AT&T has every single text message you ever got on your phone, now deleted, stored up to give you back at your request? I agree with the other posters, there are other and more effective ways to prove whatever it is you are trying to prove here.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I spoke to a higher-up tech guy at AT&T about texts once some years back and he said at the most the messages are around on a server for about 15 minutes and then are deleted. There is no need (and as pointed out probably not enough resources) to keep texts permanently stored somehow.

You'd better learn how to get by without these essential texts messages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">