• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recruiter attached terms legally binding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpeeters

Hi,

I get contacted by recruiters regularly when they see the public job openings at my company.

Now the following happened:

Never asked the recruiter to work for me
Recruiter sends CV's with terms anyway
I responded with feedback and questions on some of the CV's
Hired someone I gave feedback on, directly without the recruiter
Recruiter is now demanding payment and wants to take the case to court
I was always under the impression that giving feedback and asking questions about a CV would not count as having a binding contract with the recruiter. As in the first place I never wanted to work with the recruiter.

Am I wrong about this? What are the chances of the recruiter winning the case? Any experience on this to share?

Thank you in advance!

J.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Hi,

I get contacted by recruiters regularly when they see the public job openings at my company.

Now the following happened:

Never asked the recruiter to work for me
Recruiter sends CV's with terms anyway
I responded with feedback and questions on some of the CV's
Hired someone I gave feedback on, directly without the recruiter
Recruiter is now demanding payment and wants to take the case to court
I was always under the impression that giving feedback and asking questions about a CV would not count as having a binding contract with the recruiter. As in the first place I never wanted to work with the recruiter.

Am I wrong about this? What are the chances of the recruiter winning the case? Any experience on this to share?

Thank you in advance!

J.
I have a feeling you're not in the US ... if you're not, then we can't really help you.

eerelations

If the recruiter sues you for hiring a person whose resume the recruiter sent you with terms attached (!!!), and after discussing said resume with the recruiter (!!!), it is likely the recruiter will win the lawsuit.

This is why I always say at the bottom of my job ads something to the effect that we are not using third-party resources to assist with this recruit, and why I never open resumes sent to me by recruiters.

HRZ

not that my view counts...but I agree that odds greatly favor the recruiter if in any way the recruiter provided the link or introduction ..no matter how remote ....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">