• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Left turn camera ticket - need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NVM

Fremont, CA
I received a red light left turn camera ticket in the mail in Fremont, CA. The driver was my twin sister, I can't name her on the ticket for personal reasons. I also can't say it's not me as I resemble her, although the picture is a little hazy. I have already plead not guilty and my trial is coming up soon. What are my chances of getting the ticket dismissed?

I'm sure that the "It wasn't me driving" defense has been used many times in the past, so there may be precedent already set.
I don't know the cost or repercussions of getting the ticket, points on license, insurance increases etc, but it may be prudent to get an attorney who specializes in such things. If it's say a $30 fine (just an arbitrary figure) with no points, pay the fine, or better still get your sister to pay the fine and don't lend her your car again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Fremont, CA
I received a red light left turn camera ticket in the mail in Fremont, CA. The driver was my twin sister, I can't name her on the ticket for personal reasons. I also can't say it's not me as I resemble her, although the picture is a little hazy. I have already plead not guilty and my trial is coming up soon. What are my chances of getting the ticket dismissed?
Ahh, the old phantom twin defense.
You will lose.

NVM

Thanks for your response Neil. The ticket is for $490!! Since I already have a trial date I can't hire an attorney.

Zigner

This is California - there are TONS of traffic attorneys that you can contact.

Zigner

Even if the OP claims it's her sister in the photo, that's not going to get her out of it. Bringing her sister in to testify MIGHT get her out of it.

NVM

My sister's license is suspended, I don't want her to get in more trouble, she is dealing with a lot at the moment. The picture is a little hazy, wonder if the judge will dismiss it if I say the picture is not very clear and I don't recall driving this vehicle that day and other people have access to my car. It's a lot of money for me to pay in fines, I have never had any accidents or tickets on my record.

Zigner

My sister's license is suspended, I don't want her to get in more trouble, she is dealing with a lot at the moment. The picture is a little hazy, wonder if the judge will dismiss it if I say the picture is not very clear and I don't recall driving this vehicle that day and other people have access to my car. It's a lot of money for me to pay in fines, I have never had any accidents or tickets on my record.
You're going to lose.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You let your sister drive your car, knowing that her license was suspended?!

1) Maybe she deserves to be "dealing with a lot" - since it's pretty clear she cares for no one but herself.

2) You are enabling her behavior.

Rat the brat.

Zigner

You let your sister drive your car, knowing that her license was suspended?!

1) Maybe she deserves to be "dealing with a lot" - since it's pretty clear she cares for no one but herself.

2) You are enabling her behavior.

Rat the brat.
The only way the OP can win this one is if sis comes in to testify. Even ratting out sis won't work. The court has an identifiable picture of the OP committing the infraction.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The only way the OP can win this one is if sis comes in to testify. Even ratting out sis won't work. The court has an identifiable picture of the OP committing the infraction.
OP has got to stop worrying about "protecting" her sister. This is relatively minor, but if she doesn't address it, it won't stop there.

NVM

I pick up kids (4 in total) from school for extra money. There is no way I was driving a sedan that day as I need my van to pick up the kids, the time on the ticket is 10mins past the school bell as well and the intersection is about 15 mins away from the school. Could I use this as an excuse without telling the judge who the driver is? I've heard you don't have to identify the driver in CA and also that the picture has to be very clear. I can get letters from other moms in regards to confirming that I pick up their kids after school. I'm just so stressed about it, I have already plead not guilty & the trial is coming up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">