• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Left turn camera ticket - need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I pick up kids (4 in total) from school for extra money. There is no way I was driving a sedan that day as I need my van to pick up the kids, the time on the ticket is 10mins past the school bell as well and the intersection is about 15 mins away from the school. Could I use this as an excuse without telling the judge who the driver is? I've heard you don't have to identify the driver in CA and also that the picture has to be very clear. I can get letters from other moms in regards to confirming that I pick up their kids after school. I'm just so stressed about it, I have already plead not guilty & the trial is coming up.
They have a picture of YOU committing the infraction. They don't need to ask you who the driver is because it's obvious. The only way to beat this is to show that it wasn't you. Since your sister is an identical twin, you're going to need to haul her in to court with you. Alternatively, why not just make her pay you back?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I pick up kids (4 in total) from school for extra money. There is no way I was driving a sedan that day as I need my van to pick up the kids, the time on the ticket is 10mins past the school bell as well and the intersection is about 15 mins away from the school. Could I use this as an excuse without telling the judge who the driver is? I've heard you don't have to identify the driver in CA and also that the picture has to be very clear. I can get letters from other moms in regards to confirming that I pick up their kids after school. I'm just so stressed about it, I have already plead not guilty & the trial is coming up.
How do the other moms know it was you driving the kids, and not your twin sister?

And BTW, what has your twin sister said about the problem she has created for you?

NVM

Obviously, she is very sorry for this situation. It is more complicated than you think, she is also dealing with health issues to add to it. She is not a bad person or brat by any means. Life has been tough for her. I will never encourage any obnoxious or careless behavior, but this was out of her control.
It's always me who does the pickups, as other moms have entrusted me with their kids.

NVM

They have a picture of YOU committing the infraction. They don't need to ask you who the driver is because it's obvious. The only way to beat this is to show that it wasn't you. Since your sister is an identical twin, you're going to need to haul her in to court with you. Alternatively, why not just make her pay you back?
I can't afford to pay that kind of money and neither can she. I was hoping to get a dismissal. Not sure if I can change my plea to guilty at the trial if it'll lead to problems where the judge will not accept my excuse of not being the driver without confirming who was driving

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Obviously, she is very sorry for this situation. It is more complicated than you think, she is also dealing with health issues to add to it. She is not a bad person or brat by any means. Life has been tough for her. I will never encourage any obnoxious or careless behavior, but this was out of her control.
It's always me who does the pickups, as other moms have entrusted me with their kids.
What was out of her control? She seemed to be perfectly in control to pick up the keys, start the ignition, take the car out of park and put her foot on the accelerator and drive around in the car - all while having a suspended license.

Plenty of us have "complicated" things going on in our lives and "health issues" - that's not an excuse for illegal behavior.

No, they are not going to "dismiss" it because they have a picture of a car registered to you, with someone looking like you driving it. You car wasn't exactly reported as stolen at the time. No, letters from the other moms isn't going to cut it - at least one of your "witnesses" would have to make an appearance.

I suggest that you get an initial consult with a lawyer.

PayrollHRGuy

I can't afford to pay that kind of money and neither can she. I was hoping to get a dismissal. Not sure if I can change my plea to guilty at the trial if it'll lead to problems where the judge will not accept my excuse of not being the driver without confirming who was driving
If you change your plea to guilty there will be no "excuse of not being the driver without confirming who was driving" cause problems with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">