• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red-Light photo California w/a twist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hkspinoyr

What is the name of your state? California

Well im happy to find a forum to see what people would do in my situation.
well heres my story long today i recieved a notice of a red-light violation

The thing is the photo doesn't show the RED light i violated the one you are supposed to look at for going right is too far off the picture to be seen and i was merging (Turning right) into traffic my speed was 15 mph in 40 mph zone the intersection is clear in the photo also in fact the way the photo camera is set-up to catch people who cross the center of traffic i was far over in the 3rd lane. However the catch is my dad is the registered owner of the car he has since passed away (3 months ago) and he got the ticket but im the one in the photo.

The Snitch ticket is requesting that my dad say who was driving the car. So here's the problem do i ignore the Snitch ticket or fess up and try to fight this thing in court. The back of the Snitch ticket also has a spot for my dad to sign saying that it was official that he signed it this might be hard since hes dead.

If i ignore it i was worried they may put a Hold on the registration but from what i have found the only time a Law enforcement agency can put a hold on a vehicle for registration is for unpaid parking tickets and NOTHING else and only the court can Flag a license not a police department

So i was wondering should i ignore this fake ticket and wait for me to get the ticket or hope this all goes away with time

Eric C

CdwJava

While it is true that they cannot put a hold on the vehicle's registration if you fail to respond to this letter, the agency may run the licenses of family members and see if they can make a match. They might still get you.

But, you're technically right - they can't do much about it at this point. But keep an eye on pending legislation that might change this in the next year or two.

- Carl

Pugilist

There's two kinds of red light cam tickets going around. Fake ones and real ones.

Before you do anything, make sure it isn't one of those fake notices (sometimes called "nominations") that the police often send out. You can ignore them. They are a phishing expedition. The nominations look just like a real red light camera ticket, except that they don't have the name and address of the superior court on them. They tell you to contact the police, or an address in Arizona. A real ticket will always tell you to contact the court. It will say "You must respond to the court on or before (date)" and then will give the name, address, and phone # for the superior court.

If it turns out to be a real ticket, it shouldn't be ignored. Your Dad's executor or lawyer can fill out the form, say that the registered owner is deceased, enclose a copy of the death certificate, and ask the police/city to write back confirming that the ticket has been dismissed.

You can find a lot more about a "red light camera ticket" by google'ing that phrase plus the name of your state.

CDW mentioned some "pending legislation" and I would be interested in knowing the bill numbers.

Pug

CdwJava

Sorry, the legislation is not pending in bill form - I just hear rumblings about it from various legislators and in publications out of the Assembly and State Senate as well as from our local representatives (which is odd since nobody in my region uses red light cameras). I anticipate that some bills will be proposed in the next session and that some time in the next couple of years we will see legislation to try and hold the registered owners responsible until a driver is identified ... I don't know if that will pass judicial scrutiny, but I anticipate it coming.

- Carl

Pugilist

A couple years ago there was a bill like that (SB 780) but it got killed. Probably because it was like "East Coast" tickets where you would not get a point on your record, thus insurance companies could not raise your rates. Big insurance company the auto club was opposition.

Pug

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">