• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light video??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vjoey9229

What is the name of your state? Stockton CA. My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CA. If someone ran a red light and it was caught by video from someone behind, including an off duty officer, how likely can this be used to prosecute the runner? Or does it need to be a government video from a red light camera? If a witness video can be used what would the circumstances be??

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Stockton CA. My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CA. If someone ran a red light and it was caught by video from someone behind, including an off duty officer, how likely can this be used to prosecute the runner? Or does it need to be a government video from a red light camera? If a witness video can be used what would the circumstances be??
Is this a hypothetical situation or did this happen to you?

CdwJava

He posted it on another site as well.

The short answer is that, Yes, the state of California CAN prosecute you based upon witness testimony alone, or, testimony and video evidence. I have never seen it done, but, it is theoretically possible and I have heard it done. Twice in my career I have been called upon to issue cites for a private person's arrest based upon a witness complaint for a traffic offense (an infraction an offense punishable by a fine only). To my knowledge, neither was prosecuted ... but, I would not likely have been called as a witness, so it's possible that it was.

Vjoey9229

He posted it on another site as well.

The short answer is that, Yes, the state of California CAN prosecute you based upon witness testimony alone, or, testimony and video evidence. I have never seen it done, but, it is theoretically possible and I have heard it done. Twice in my career I have been called upon to issue cites for a private person's arrest based upon a witness complaint for a traffic offense (an infraction an offense punishable by a fine only). To my knowledge, neither was prosecuted ... but, I would not likely have been called as a witness, so it's possible that it was.
If I was to be prosecuted for that 1. How long do you think it’ll take for me to find out? 2. IF the video was at night when it’s harder to see, how likely do you think that is considering license plate etc?

CdwJava

If I was to be prosecuted for that 1. How long do you think it’ll take for me to find out? 2. IF the video was at night when it’s harder to see, how likely do you think that is considering license plate etc?
As I mentioned on that site, you will find out when issued a notice, a summons, or an arrest warrant. It could take 48 hours to 11 months and 28 days. And, unless the witness could identify you - or you could clearly be identified in any such verifiable video - no such prosecution would commence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">