• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

References

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

schubie

What is the name of your state? michigan

I hate my current job and am on the hunt for a new one. I asked my immediate supervisor if I could use her as a reference. Her response was that "by law" she cannot be a reference because "she is my manager". What??

Not that big of a deal, I have some other people that I can use, but this just does not seem right. Any ideas?

JETX

"Any ideas?"
*** Yeh, do NOT use her as a reference. Her 'story' was probably her polite way of saying that.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may well be company policy that she cannot give out references; many companies will only permit HR to give reference information. She may mistakenly believe that it's law, rather than company policy. I've seen it happen before.

However, even if she is lying through her teeth instead of being sincerely mistaken, she cannot be compelled to give references, any more than she is forbidden to do so.

S

schubie

JETX said:
"Any ideas?"
*** Yeh, do NOT use her as a reference. Her 'story' was probably her polite way of saying that.
the problem is the application asks for supervisor info in addition to references. there is a check box asking if they can contact my current employer. i suppose ill check no, but that seems like it will look bad.

Beth3

It is customary to ask for that information on an application form and no, it won't look bad if you check "no." It is uncommon for employers to check references with a candidate's current employer as doing so can put a person's job in jeopardy when the employer finds out their employee is looking for a new job. That's why they have the "yes" and "no" boxes on the application form. While they don't need your permission, they are asking for it as a courtesy and to ensure that if they call, it won't result in your being fired.

S

schubie

cbg said:
It may well be company policy that she cannot give out references; many companies will only permit HR to give reference information. She may mistakenly believe that it's law, rather than company policy. I've seen it happen before.

However, even if she is lying through her teeth instead of being sincerely mistaken, she cannot be compelled to give references, any more than she is forbidden to do so.
you may be correct. she said she went to her supervisor and asked if she is allowed to give references (did not mention it was me who was inquiring, at least that is what she said). and was told that she is not allowed. she did use the words "by law", but maybe it is a company policy. she is not the type of person who would lie or not help me out. but of course in corporate life, anyone can be two faced.

thanks for everyones help/opinions

S

schubie

Originally posted by Beth3
It is customary to ask for that information on an application form and no, it won't look bad if you check "no." It is uncommon for employers to check references with a candidate's current employer as doing so can put a person's job in jeopardy when the employer finds out their employee is looking for a new job. That's why they have the "yes" and "no" boxes on the application form. While they don't need your permission, they are asking for it as a courtesy and to ensure that if they call, it won't result in your being fired.
that makes me feel better. i didn't think that they would actually call my current employer but i wanted to have my bases covered. thanks.

Beth3

You're welcome. I would never call a candidate's current employer without their express permission and neither would any other reputable employer. Good luck with the job opportunity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">