• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

referral rewards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

salsbury

What is the name of your state? NJ
As a mortgage broker, am I permitted under RESPA law to offer a small (under $50) "reward" for referrals from previous customers? For example, can I tell a previous customer who closed with me that, if he refers a friend who closes with me, I'll give him two tickets to a ball game? If this is permitted in some states but not in others, please let me know as I do loans in states other than NJ as well.

HUD-1

I don't think it would be allowable, but this is not my area of expertise. Get something in writing from HUD BEFORE your proceed. From the HUD website:

Section 8: kickbacks, fee-splitting, unearned fees
Section 8 of RESPA prohibits anyone from giving or accepting a fee, kickback or any thing of value in exchange for referrals of settlement service business involving a federally related mortgage loan. In addition, RESPA prohibits fee splitting and receiving unearned fees for services not actually performed.
Violations of Section 8's anti-kickback, referral fees and unearned fees provisions of RESPA are subject to criminal and civil penalties. In a criminal case a person who violates Section 8 may be fined up to $10,000 and imprisoned up to one year. In a private law suit a person who violates Section 8 may be liable to the person charged for the settlement service an amount equal to three times the amount of the charge paid for the service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">