• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refinancing while still paying back on Chapter 13?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plp

What is the name of your state? VA

I need to refinance both the house and vehicle in my name only as stated in my divorce decree. What are the steps I should take? Should I try through my current mortgage company first? Are there certain companies that are "known" to work with people who have filed bankruptcy? I realize that regardless of where I go, my interest rate is going to be very high, but is there any place where I can read up on this stuff so I know what is fair and what isn't? Thanks for any advice.

C

Ladynred

First of all, you cannot do ANYTHING without permission from the Trustee. Go thru the process and get the Trustee's permission to refinance per your divorce decree (though it holds no real weight) and then figure out your best options.

plp

Thanks. I didn't know that. I knew if I had to buy a car or was going to sell my home, I would need to get his permission, but I didn't think beyond that. I'll see what he has to say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">