• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund for deposit being withheld

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zee2

What is the name of your state? Georgia

One week ago, I rented a car for the day from Hertz Rental. I rented it online from Hotwire and was quoted and confirmed a price of 39.75. I picked up the car at Savannah-Hilton Head Airport before 7:30 on Friday morning.

When I received the receipt and my American Express/Bluebird card back, I saw that I had been charged 230.00, even though I had printed and offered my insurance which would cover the rental as long as it was in my possession. I was assured repeated that this deposit would be refunded to my card within 24 hours after I returned the car.

I returned the car 2 hours early and filled up the tank less than 1 mile from the return port. I was assured by a second Hertz Agent that the deposit (190.25) would be returned to my card within 24.

3 days later, I checked to see my card had NOT been reimbursed. I contacted Hertz, who then told me they had 24 to 48 hours to release the balance and my bank institution (Amex/Bluebird) would take 7-10 business days.

I contacted Amex and they said they had not received authorization for the release of the extra deposit and refused to move further. They then informed me this process could take 30 days, I then contacted Hertz again and gave them Amex's fax number. They have since informed me they have faxed and electronically Amex and informed them to release the deposit. Amex refuses and states they have not received it.

On Wednesday (5 days) I contact American Express, asked for a supervisor and participated in a 3 way call with Amex and Hertz. I have never heard such unprofessional bickering between 2 so-called adults. Amex refused to move and Hertz told them to release the funds. Amex again refused and demanded an electronic release.

I have complained to the Better Business Bureau. Hertz says they kept their end of the bargain. So have I. My Bluebird account is my checking account and this 'deposit' that I was never told about - has me in a financial bind. I have a choice to pay utilities or buy food. I have to make this decision tonight.

I no longer know who to complain to or what to do. I'm down to nothing and I don't know where to go now.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Georgia

One week ago, I rented a car for the day from Hertz Rental. I rented it online from Hotwire and was quoted and confirmed a price of 39.75. I picked up the car at Savannah-Hilton Head Airport before 7:30 on Friday morning.

When I received the receipt and my American Express/Bluebird card back, I saw that I had been charged 230.00, even though I had printed and offered my insurance which would cover the rental as long as it was in my possession. I was assured repeated that this deposit would be refunded to my card within 24 hours after I returned the car.

I returned the car 2 hours early and filled up the tank less than 1 mile from the return port. I was assured by a second Hertz Agent that the deposit (190.25) would be returned to my card within 24.

3 days later, I checked to see my card had NOT been reimbursed. I contacted Hertz, who then told me they had 24 to 48 hours to release the balance and my bank institution (Amex/Bluebird) would take 7-10 business days.

I contacted Amex and they said they had not received authorization for the release of the extra deposit and refused to move further. They then informed me this process could take 30 days, I then contacted Hertz again and gave them Amex's fax number. They have since informed me they have faxed and electronically Amex and informed them to release the deposit. Amex refuses and states they have not received it.

On Wednesday (5 days) I contact American Express, asked for a supervisor and participated in a 3 way call with Amex and Hertz. I have never heard such unprofessional bickering between 2 so-called adults. Amex refused to move and Hertz told them to release the funds. Amex again refused and demanded an electronic release.

I have complained to the Better Business Bureau. Hertz says they kept their end of the bargain. So have I. My Bluebird account is my checking account and this 'deposit' that I was never told about - has me in a financial bind. I have a choice to pay utilities or buy food. I have to make this decision tonight.

I no longer know who to complain to or what to do. I'm down to nothing and I don't know where to go now.
I suggest you move it up the chain at both Hertz and American Express.

zee2

I suggest you move it up the chain at both Hertz and American Express.
If I knew how to do that, I would! I received an email from someone from Hertz when I one-starred their survey. I responded 2 days ago, still no response. I've spoken with supervisors, Facebook moderators... it's been a brickwall.

Just Blue

If I knew how to do that, I would! I received an email from someone from Hertz when I one-starred their survey. I responded 2 days ago, still no response. I've spoken with supervisors, Facebook moderators... it's been a brickwall.
Call Corporate.

quincy

Although this won't be the speediest way to resolve the matter, draft formal letters to their corporate headquarters and explain your situation and follow up with calls.

Hertz Corporation
8501 Williams Rd
Estero, Florida 33928
1-239-301-7000

American Express
World Financial Center
New York, New York 10285
1-212-640-2000

Corporate executives hate to be bothered with customer complaints. They expect these to be handled through customer service. They are apt to put pressure on customer service to handle the matter promptly.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">