• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refusal to give back 401K till end of the year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zeek_clm

California. I was terminated at the beginning of the year with a mid size company and was told in January 2010 that I could not pull out my 401K until the end of the year. The other day they told me I could not pull it out until March 2011. They are also saying I cannot pull out any funds (even my portion) at the end of this quarter. Is this allowed?

swalsh411

What do you mean by "pull out"? What are you trying to do with the money and what does the plan document say about withdrawals?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
swalsh's last question is really the only one that matters. Not all plans allow for immediate distribution. If the plan document says that this is allowed, then it is. If the plan document says this isn't allowed, then it isn't.

The plan document rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">