• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refusal to pay out unused vacation, sick and personal business pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rpsjimj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
I am a school district administrator. In early November, I requested to be let out of my annual contract so that I could take a position 300 miles closer to my family in northern Illinois. The school board agreed, but they demanded that I work for seven weeks without using my accrued vacation, sick leave or personal business days. Now, after I finally asked about it, the school district tells me that the school board "demanded" that I not be compensated for accrued days, even though it was the school board who demanded I not use them. Now, the superintendent refuses to allow me to use any of the accrued vacation days. Is it legal for the school district and school board to effectively deny me these days/payment that I have rightfully accrued? By the way, the district's past practice is to pay out unused days to administrators.

pattytx

That may be past practice, but what does your contract say? Since there is no law (either federally or in Missouri), the only possible recourse you MIGHT have is civil.

rpsjimj

It simply says "This Agreement may be terminated during its term for cause and/or as otherwise permitted by law." "In the event Administrator is terminated, resigns, or otherwise concludes his or her employment with the District and has received compensation for services not yet rendered, the employee shall be required to reimburse the District for such overpayment. Any amounts due to the District under this paragraph may be deducted from any and all payments that may be owed to the employee by the District."

So, if I had used too many vacation days, they can take it out of my paycheck, yet they include nothing about payment to me for accrued vacation days.

rpsjimj

It also says, "Administrator is further entitled to the standard benefits for District administrators, as set forth in District policies and regulation, and Administrator acknowledges that the Board may subsequently alter such benefits by amending these policies and/or regulations during the term of this Agreement."

So, by demanding that I NOT use my accrued vacation, sick and personal business days, AND then refusing to compensate me for said benefit, they have prohibited me from that which I am entitled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">