• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refused work ticket, warranty, receipt after cash payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TAHOE65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Hi. I took my car to a major chain repair shop 2 months ago for a repair. Upon pick up of my vehicle, the mechanic took the cash, put in his pocket. I asked for my work ticket and receipt. He said no. After leaving this repair shop, my car immediately started to overheat and make new noises, whining engine/transmission noise. I called the repair shop and they advised me to bring it back in the next day.

The mechanic stated to me and my witness, at the shop, that he did not put enough coolant in the radiator before I left, just a little. This caused my car to overheat and the radiator cracked.

Ever since taking the car in for one repair, after I took my car from there, there have been over 6 other things wrong, which I believe is due to the mechanics negligence from the original repair.

I have taken the car back a total of 6 times because the mechanic kept telling me to bring it back, which I did...however, mechanic never repaired the problems, just found new ones, that my car never had before I brought the car in originally. He just told me to keep driving it..and bring it back next week...

I filed a complaint with the Hdqrtrs, and for 2 months I kept calling, only to be told over and over they would contact me. They never did..

I sent a demand for refund or repair letter, certified. They finally called me back (for the 1st time in 2 months). They asked for the repair ticket number and I explained, this was in my complaint, that I was REFUSED a work ticket/receipt and warranty, after I paid cash. They stated they spoke to the repair shop in question, and they stated they never worked on my car.

I have 5 witnesses that either saw my car at the repair shop being worked on, and/or talked directly with the mechanic while he was working on my car. I saw the shop fill out a repair shop, but somehow they got rid of that evidence, and refused to give me a copy.

The only paper proof I would have is copies of the caller id on the phone of which calls were made from this repair shop, over several weeks. As well as the witnesses that spoke face to face with the mechanic while he was working on my car. If my car was not in their shop, as they state, then why would they call over and over, for weeks?! (because my car was there for weeks).

The mechanic called and stated because of my complaint to hdqrtrs, he was going to come after me. I filed a police report.

Do I have a case? (I have witnesses that are more than willing to testify). I have copies of caller id from this repair shop.

The car is undriveable..this is my only means of transportation.

The mechanic had to remove the radiator, engine and drop the tranny for the original repair, all of which I am having major problems with since I took the car in for the original repair.

What kind of attorney would I need to look for?
Thank you for any input...

Dave1952

You paid cash, which is unusual nowadays. If you have a bank withdrawal from that day in about the amount paid, then you have some evidence that you did pay cash. Did you get a ride from work to the shop? What does that person remember? While a receipt would be nice there may be other evidence which is convincing. Remember that civil courts have lower standards of proof.
Good luck.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

... Upon pick up of my vehicle, the mechanic took the cash, put in his pocket. I asked for my work ticket and receipt. He said no. ...

... there have been over 6 other things wrong, which I believe is due to the mechanics negligence from the original repair. ...

... I filed a complaint with the Hdqrtrs ...
... I sent a demand for refund or repair letter, certified. ... they stated they never worked on my car. ...

... The only paper proof I would have is copies of the caller id on the phone of which calls were made from this repair shop, over several weeks. As well as the witnesses that spoke face to face with the mechanic while he was working on my car. If my car was not in their shop, as they state, then why would they call over and over, for weeks?! (because my car was there for weeks).

The mechanic called and stated because of my complaint to hdqrtrs, he was going to come after me. I filed a police report.

Do I have a case? (I have witnesses that are more than willing to testify). I have copies of caller id from this repair shop.

What kind of attorney would I need to look for? ...
You could have a case worth pursuing. You will probably want to speak with an attorney who is well-versed in Arizona consumer laws.

Good luck.

TAHOE65

You paid cash, which is unusual nowadays. If you have a bank withdrawal from that day in about the amount paid, then you have some evidence that you did pay cash. Did you get a ride from work to the shop? What does that person remember? While a receipt would be nice there may be other evidence which is convincing. Remember that civil courts have lower standards of proof.
Good luck.
Yes, I have proof from the bank withdrawl from that date and for the exact amount I paid. Witness to cash payment also, and witness saw mechanic pocket the cash and tell me no, I could not have a receipt. My friend, on several occassions (at least 8-10 times) picked me up and drove me to the repair shop to either talk to the mechanic while he was working on my car, or to pick up my car. Sent demand for refund/payment letter and their corporate office called today stating I have no case because I have no work repair ticket or receipt, and "good luck". She stated that the repair shop is denying ever working on my car.

I also made a daily log of everything that happend, that was said, done,witnesses, and date and time.

My witnesses are more than willing to testify for me what they saw, said, witnessed and/or conversed with the mechanic etc.

small claims is not an option due to AZ limit, AZ small claims limit has to be under 2000.00 .. total damages are much more.

Appreciate your reply, thank you!

OHRoadwarrior

The biggest issues are proof and evidence. You appear to be lacking severely in both. The cost, unreimbursable, to have a professional tear down and analysis of the engine and transmission will be cost prohibitive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">