• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regaining priviledges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i am an arkansas resident. i went through a divorce in 1998. rather than contest i granted her the home in which we were living. i filed a quit claim deed and i was relieved of any obligation to the property in the decree. in june of 2000 she let the home go to forclosure. however a friend of hers agreed to bail it out and take over the mortgage payments. her friend is currently living there but, it the mortgage is still in our names. Can i reclaim the property since i am still the mortgage holder? if not what legal action should be taken?


Senior Member
You cannot reclaim the property because you are no longer the owner.
You need to go to court to enforce the provisions in the divorce decree. If you were not obligated to pay on the property, then ex should have refinanced the mortgage at that time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential