• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding a cell phone purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Peidong

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi!

A month ago I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7 from a BoostMobile store at my location.
And within about 2-3 weeks of use, the radio functionality completely fails for no apparent reason and the phone can't even make emergency calls, which is unheard of.
Thinking it was past the replacement policy of the store which is one week and that the phone was under 1-year manufacturer warranty, I sent the phone to a Samsung repair center for repair.
However, the phone was labeled Beyond Economical Repair(BER) by the technician because the back glass is not original, meaning there was an unauthorized repair taken place before I purchased the phone.
At that moment I realized the phone is refurbished but not by the manufacturer.
I visited the store multiple times, but the employees there couldn't do anything, and manager doesn't visit often.
I contacted the manager through e-mail, but he hasn't replied yet.
I wish to get a replacement of the phone since I was misinformed about the condition and the warranty possibility(phone could never receive a repair under warranty in the first place because it has unoriginal parts), and that the phone could cause serious hazards without the ability of calling emergency numbers(the phone was used by an elder).

Is there any way I can get help legally and disregard the store policy to get a replacement?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi!

A month ago I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7 from a BoostMobile store at my location.
And within about 2-3 weeks of use, the radio functionality completely fails for no apparent reason and the phone can't even make emergency calls, which is unheard of.
Thinking it was past the replacement policy of the store which is one week and that the phone was under 1-year manufacturer warranty, I sent the phone to a Samsung repair center for repair.
However, the phone was labeled Beyond Economical Repair(BER) by the technician because the back glass is not original, meaning there was an unauthorized repair taken place before I purchased the phone.
At that moment I realized the phone is refurbished but not by the manufacturer.
I visited the store multiple times, but the employees there couldn't do anything, and manager doesn't visit often.
I contacted the manager through e-mail, but he hasn't replied yet.
I wish to get a replacement of the phone since I was misinformed about the condition and the warranty possibility(phone could never receive a repair under warranty in the first place because it has unoriginal parts), and that the phone could cause serious hazards without the ability of calling emergency numbers(the phone was used by an elder).

Is there any way I can get help legally and disregard the store policy to get a replacement?
I suggest you wait awhile longer to hear from the store manager before thinking of pursuing a legal action.

If your contract with the store and store policy calls for replacement rather than refund, however, this is an agreement you could find you are held to legally.

Peidong

I suggest you wait awhile longer to hear from the store manager before thinking of pursuing a legal action.

If your contract with the store and store policy calls for replacement rather than refund, however, this is an agreement you could find you are held to legally.
Thank you for your reply!

Though, the transaction was a one-time cash purchase, which makes the whole incident much more troublesome.

quincy

Thank you for your reply!

Though, the transaction was a one-time cash purchase, which makes the whole incident much more troublesome.
It is always a trouble when a product you purchase does not work as it should. You can try to see if the manager will give you a "good will" refund instead of sticking to the store's replacement-only policy.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">