• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Registered owner VS. Legal Owner running plates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmarchuk

I live in WA state.

My question is, when a police officer runs your plates do they get the information about the legal owner? or just the current registered owner?

I do not have a current license and I want to register my car in someone elses name, I want to make sure they are not going to get pulled over just because I am the legal owner of the car.

Thanks

CdwJava

I live in WA state.

My question is, when a police officer runs your plates do they get the information about the legal owner? or just the current registered owner?
I believe you get both in WA. We get the name and address of both here in CA, and I seem to recall we get that info from WA plates, too.

I do not have a current license and I want to register my car in someone elses name, I want to make sure they are not going to get pulled over just because I am the legal owner of the car.
And why would you feel it necessary to do that?

- Carl

bmarchuk

why would you assume that because I am asking this I intend on avioding anything, or breaking any law.

I am simply trying to let my girlfriend have my car, without paying for it, for now at least, until i can drive again.

relationships are sketchy and I do not want to transfer the title to someone if I do not have to...

DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?

CdwJava

Well, if they run it, they can almost certainly get the name of the legal owner if they want. However, it is the registered owner that tends to get the name run, so she's not too likely to get pulled over in this instance.

- Carl

outonbail

Why are you worrying about anyone else getting pulled over if they are all legal?

It only makes sense that you are worried that if they run it that they will discover that you don't have a license when your driving the car.

If your girlfriend has a license, it doesn't matter if she gets pulled over right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">