• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Registering a Business Name in 52 States

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tredepth

Can one register a buisness name in the USA and that registration cover all 52 States or must one do them all separately?

On top of that can it be done online?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You don't need to make a new thread for your questions. Keep them all in the same thread.

(There are only 50 states in the U.S.)

Tredepth

Oh did not know that, Thanks for letting me know Zigner. So what do I do with this one should I leave it or add it to my earlier question which I asked?

FlyingRon

What makes you think there's an obligation to register a business in any state? What sort of business are you envisioning? Where is this business located and is it going to operate in foreign states?

PayrollHRGuy

You only need to register in a state if you have a nexus in the state.

Simply shipping to a state does not generally create a nexus.

Tredepth

What makes you think there's an obligation to register a business in any state? What sort of business are you envisioning? Where is this business located and is it going to operate in foreign states?
Was looking online and realised that each state had a sligh change to their rules and prices for registration, so I was a bit confused and thinking that if I was to register in Miami then it would not cover me in Chicago. Business is going to be a Clothing Business and possibly registered and located in NYC.

PayrollHRGuy

Nexus simply means a connection. Simply shipping to a state does not create a nexus to that state. If you are going to be based in NY then you would certainly have a nexus there. If you hire a salesman in Chicago you have a nexus in IL. If you ship to Arkansas you have NO nexus in Arkansas.

Tredepth

Nexus simply means a connection. Simply shipping to a state does not create a nexus to that state. If you are going to be based in NY then you would certainly have a nexus there. If you hire a salesman in Chicago you have a nexus in IL. If you ship to Arkansas you have NO nexus in Arkansas.
Ok so technically with the salesman situation I would have to register over there in IL also then, but not in the case of Arkansas where I would just be shipping to that state.

quincy

Can one register a buisness name in the USA and that registration cover all 52 States or must one do them all separately?

On top of that can it be done online?
You only need to register your company in one state but you may need registered agents in the states where you do business.

Requirements vary by state so you will want to research the pros and cons of the states you are considering.

What sort of business structure have you formed or intend to form?

Your best course of action is to sit down with a business law professional.

Tredepth

You only need to register your company in one state but you may need registered agents in the states where you do business.

Requirements vary by state so you will want to research the pros and cons of the states you are considering.

What sort of business structure have you formed or intend to form?

Your best course of action is to sit down with a business law professional.
Hmmmmmm I see, thinking it may be a Partnership, but I was wondering if we should not do an LLC instead since in some reading I was doing it says that it separates us and the company and makes it an entity of it's own.

quincy

Hmmmmmm I see, thinking it may be a Partnership, but I was wondering if we should not do an LLC instead since in some reading I was doing it says that it separates us and the company and makes it an entity of it's own.
You will want to discuss this with a business law/tax professional in your area. An LLC can be best for some businesses. Others might find advantages to a C-Corp.

There is a lot to do to establish your business in the U.S., including choosing a state, getting licensed, getting an employer identification number (EIN), opening a bank account, taxes ...

You will no doubt find that the choosing and registering of your trademark is the easy part. :)

By the way, it is preferred on this forum that all related questions are kept to a single thread instead of having several threads. Background information can help us help a poster better.

I can link to your other two threads but try to keep all additional questions to this thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
That's not quite correct. The company organizes in only one state. But in each state where it conducts business (e.g. has an office, has employees, etc) it will generallly need to register as a foreign business entity (foreign in this case meaning any entity organized in any jurisdiction outside that state). Thus, for example, Amy might organize her Better Lemons LLC in Florida to conduct her lemon sales business. She manages her business in Florida. After a year or so, she opens another office in California to handle west coast sales and hires an employee to work in that California office. She will be required to register her LLC in California as a foreign LLC. As part of that process she will have to designate registered agents, but registering as a foreign LLC is something distinctly different than just picking a registered agent.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Here are the links to your other threads, Tredepth, for reference purposes:
You never mentioned in what country you reside. Where do you live?
An important question since how the OP organizes in the U.S. should take into account how this business will be regarded in his/her home country. For example, tax considerations in the home country may influence the choice of entity he or she wishes to use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">