• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regretful

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rachelm02128

I’m in Ohio now my baby was born here but I had a one night stand with the father in Massachusetts he was threatening to take the baby from me if I ever filed for child support. He even went as far as to tell me he would be at the hospital with a lawyer to make sure I have her his last name which I did not. My question is if I did put him on child support how does it work if he lives In another state and if he’s a drug addict can I ask them to drug test him? And I blocked contact with him and have not told him she was born yet because of all the threats to take her to Massachusetts with him I told him he needs to take a dna test with the court to prove she is his if he wants to see her will that look bad on me?

Last edited:

LdiJ

I’m in Ohio now my baby was born here but I had a one night stand with the father in Massachusetts he was threatening to take the baby from me if I ever filed for child support. He even went as far as to tell me he would be at the hospital with a lawyer to make sure I have her his last name which I did not. My question is if I did put him on child support how does it work if he lives In another state and if he’s a drug addict can I ask them to drug test him? And I blocked contact with him and have not told him she was born yet because of all the threats to take her to Massachusetts with him I told him he needs to take a dna test with the court to prove she is his if he wants to see her will that look bad on me?
Ok, its time to take a big deep breath. First, you putting him on child support does not automatically give him any parenting time rights. He would have to file separately for those.

However you also need to realize that if you put him on child support you will be establishing paternity. You don't get to put him on child support AND require him to get a separate paternity test in order to file for parenting time/visitation. If he is smart he will request a paternity test as part of any child support action, but still, only one paternity establishment is necessary.

t74

He should insist on a DNA test. He can ask to be on the birth certificate and have the child's name include his. He should be granted the DNA test and, if he is the father, be listed as her father. No one can predict the name issue.

You should file for child support. As for it to be remitted via the states' CS agencies procedures. It is likely to be garnished from his wages if he has a job. This is not grounds for him being the custodial parent. If you receive state welfare benefits, you should expect to name individuals who might be the father.

He should ask for visitation; if it is granted, you should comply or face him filing for contempt. Search for long distance parenting plans.

You cannot compel him to take drug tests. Whether the court will is anyone's guess.

You should expect to deal with him for at least the next 18 years. You should engage an attorney to get the most favorable long term child support and visitation plans.

Post detailed questions for Ohiogal.

HRZ

Some Dads may seek to avoid being put on CS with a variety of chain rattling chants ....and it's your call whether to listen or not ....IF Dad has near zero ability to provide child support it may not make sense to voluntarily open any windows for him to participate ...beyond that..Dads have a duty to support thier children and the child's best interests probably deserve dads pocketbook support .

Whether he seeks a visitation role in child's life is up to the crystal ball. Dads have a legal right to seek a role in child's life ..w or w/o. Ability to pay .

But CS is rarely retroactive ..so do what you think is best without much delay . .

PayrollHRGuy

This is hardly the first time a question like this has been asked here and I always wonder why the OP would think for a second that if the guy doesn't want to pay child support that they would do anything to actually even accidentally get full custody?

t74

OP, you should expect that for at least some of the time you will not be receiving child support and need to be prepared to support yourself and your child fully.

xylene

This is hardly the first time a question like this has been asked here and I always wonder why the OP would think for a second that if the guy doesn't want to pay child support that they would do anything to actually even accidentally get full custody?
Probably because it is a trope in TV and movies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">