• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reimburse Relo if my Comp changed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Midwest Manager

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I joined a company 11 months ago and signed an agreement that if I voluntarily resigned within 24 months I would reimburse the company for my relocation expenses and my sign on bonus. The agreement stated that if I resigned within 12 months I pay back 100%, between months 12-24 I owe 50%.

Since joining the company we merged with a another company and the new company has changed my comp. Specifically, I lost an annual stock option grant (non-qualified options), had my potenital (performance based) bonus range reduced, and other benefits were reduced as well such as the value of 401K matches, medical benefits co-payments, etc. Further, post-merger, my responsibilities and workload have increased by about 50% with no increased comp.

My combined relo and sign on bonus exposure is substantial, likely in the $100-125K range.

My question is: "since I originally signed the relo bonus repayment agreement based upon the expectation to get stock options (and the other cut benefits) am I now free of my obligation to repay the 50% rate if I resign to join a different company?"

I have an offer pending from another company and the liability of being held accountable to repay is a substantial factor in whether I can make the new offer worth taking.

Thank you.

JETX

Midwest Manager said:
My question is: "since I originally signed the relo bonus repayment agreement based upon the expectation to get stock options (and the other cut benefits) am I now free of my obligation to repay the 50% rate if I resign to join a different company?"
Simple answer. If your WRITTEN committment is contingent on your receiving those benefits AND if a court finds the agreement was breached by them, you MIGHT be released.
Absent a court finding to that fact, you leave at your own risk.

Since you are talking in excess of $100k potential liability, don't you think it would be reasonable to spend $500 or so for a local attorney to review your documents and COMPLETE situation before you make what is likely a huge mistake???

Midwest Manager

Thanks Jet. Given the money involved, I agree, it is worth paying an attorney to reiew. My liabilty does drop by 50% soon and that is when I would make my move.

I guess what really bothers me (and will be a lesson for the future) is that the agreement to repay relo/sign on seems to stand on its own. I have no separate agreement that ties my acceptnce of the relo repay to a substantive change in my comp and responsibilities.

Legally, your feedback would suggest that I am on very shaky ground. Morally, it seems unfair as my comp level was a key factor in my decision to accept and sign the relo agreement.

If I were judge and jury on "what is the right thing to do" I would, at least partially free myself from obligation. But I realize the written law more often than not stands on its own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">