• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reinstate-Life Ins Waiver Premium Due to Disb

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prognewbie

What is the name of your state? GA. About 4 yrs. ago I was employed and covered by a life ins policy that allowed for waiver of premium if permanently disabled. During the beginning, I was always having to prove my disability status and had legal battles with my job, worker's comp, SS, etc. Although every battled I fought, I did WIN, I had many battles and was exhausted at fighting all of them so I did nothing about the Life Ins battle. Now I am finding that I cannot get Life Ins and want to get this life ins policy back that legally should have never lapsed since I have maintained by permanent disablity status. Can I go back now 4 yrs after the fact and fight for the reinstatment of this life ins policy since I cannot get life ins now and cannot afford a policy if I could get one? Please help!

somarco

You can always try, but . . .

I gather you had a policy, and let it lapse some 4 years ago. From the way your post is worded, it appears this is a group life policy through your employer, not an individual plan.

You have presumably been unemployed for 4 years and during that time no premiums were paid on your behalf.

Now, 4 years later, you want your employer to pay the 6 - 9 months of premiums leading up to the time you could have been eligible for disability waiver. You want to the carrier to give consideration to retroactively assuming a risk that expired some 4 years ago AND pick up that risk with no premium.

If you have nothing else to do with your time, this should be a fun exercise.

As for your closing comment, well yes. The carrier had every legal right to allow your policy to lapse. No premiums were paid. They were never notified of your disability. Under the terms of the contract they were obliged to terminate coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">