• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release of Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sal425

MA
I recently applied for life Insurance and was given a physical. I was denied due to lab results. I was told I needed to write a letter to release the results to my doctor which I did.
While waiting for my doctor's appt, the Insurance Company sent the unfavorable results to my house which my wife did not need to see.
Why would they tell me I could only get the results through my doctor? Is this a violation of policy or law? Is there anyway to keep those results from hitting the MIB?

Thanks

moburkes

No, there is no violation of law. When you sign up for a life insurance policy, you usually sign a form releasing the results of the labs to yourself, and the sent them to the address that they had on file, which was your home address. You have to actually check a box in order to release the results to the doctor, which apparently you didn't do, or the doctor would have automatically seen the results.

Now, apparently your wife opened your mail. However, why would you keep critical enough information from your SPOUSE? Critical enough that you wouldn't be issued a life insurance policy?

lealea1005

moburkes said:
Now, apparently your wife opened your mail. However, why would you keep critical enough information from your SPOUSE? Critical enough that you wouldn't be issued a life insurance policy?

very good point!

Betty

Moburkes is correct. The ins. co. I worked for would send blood test results/urinalysis results, that we requested/required in order to underwrite the application, to the applicant at their home address given on the application
re the MIB - the ins. co. has the right & probably did report the code for the lab results to the MIB.

Last edited:

moburkes

I forgot to respond to the MIB part. You can check your information by going to www.mib.com.

What type of information is included in MIB records?
Our records include medical conditions represented by one or more of about 230 codes. Conditions most commonly reported include: height and weight, blood pressure, ECG readings, and laboratory test results if, and only if, these facts are considered significant to health or longevity. There are only a few non-medical codes relating to information that could impact health or longevity including: an adverse driving record, participation in hazardous sports, or aviation activity.

How are MIB records used?
When a consumer applies to a MIB member company for life, health, disability, or long-term care insurance coverage, the company may check for a record at MIB. If there is a record, it is sent in coded form to authorized personnel only at the company making the request. The purpose of the report is to detect and deter applicants from omitting or misrepresenting significant facts. The insurer who receives a record from MIB will compare it with information provided by the applicant. If the information in the MIB record is inconsistent with other information, the insurer may conduct further investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">