• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release of Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sal425

MA
I recently applied for life Insurance and was given a physical. I was denied due to lab results. I was told I needed to write a letter to release the results to my doctor which I did.
While waiting for my doctor's appt, the Insurance Company sent the unfavorable results to my house which my wife did not need to see.
I know this a violation of their policy, but is it a Hipaa violation? Is there anyway to keep those results from hitting the MIB?

Thanks

lealea1005

If the envelope was addressed to you it was not a HIPAA violation. They are your test results. It is illegal for others to open your mail.

The results were sent to your Doctor because the insurance company did not want the liability of having your adnormal lab results and basically dumped them into your Doctor's lap.

Any future applications for insurance will require that you disclose your entire medical history and, yes, when your Doctor sends them your medical records, and you will have to sign a release for him/her to do so, a copy of those lab results will be included.

Sorry 'bout that. Hope it all works out for you!

Last edited:

lealea1005

lealea1005 said:
If the envelope was addressed to you it was not a HIPAA violation. They are your test results. It is illegal for others to open your mail.

The results were sent to your Doctor because the insurance company did not want the liability of having your adnormal lab results and basically dumped them into your Doctor's lap.

Any future applications for insurance will require that you disclose your entire medical history and, yes, when your Doctor sends them your medical records, and you will have to sign a release for him/her to do so, a copy of those lab results will be included.

Sorry 'bout that. Hope it all works out for you!

ummmm...don't know why this reply was deleted, but for what it's worth......oh, n/m you posted twice!

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

If you were aware you had herpes/crabs/the clap/whatever prior to the test and didn't bother mentioning that little fact to your wife, in the very near future, you are going to have a much bigger problem than wondering if this was a HIPAA violation.

moburkes

You Are Guilty said:
If you were aware you had herpes/crabs/the clap/whatever prior to the test and didn't bother mentioning that little fact to your wife, in the very near future, you are going to have a much bigger problem than wondering if this was a HIPAA violation.
ROTFLMAO!:) :)

Betty

re the MIB - the ins. co. has the right & probably did report the code for the test results to the MIB.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">