• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release of Medical Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JimmyHo

What is the name of your state? California.

:confused: First let me say I'm an alcoholic. I went into recovery at the first of this year. My job, well it's been a tough go for four years thanks primarily to my boss (I'd been with the company a total of eight years). But all my reviews have been outstanding (I'm the get drunk at night and on the weekend type). He did not know I was a recovering alcoholic. In June I slipped, meaning I started drinking again and it affected my work. I resigned my position feeling there was no way I could stay sober under the stress of that job. Needless to say I immediately regreted my decision. At that point I went to my boss and asked for reinstatement, explaining the truth and that I'd slipped but was determined not to let it happen again. My resignation, in the end, was accepted anyway, which is no surprise.

I am since back on the wagon and feeling fine, though unemployed at the moment but several prospects looming. My real question is, since alcoholism is a disease, what if anything can my company say to prospective employers or people I'm contacting for professional references about it?

Actually, I have one other question. When I resigned I was at home, under the influence (I know, dumb and dumber). My resignation was sent vial email. Is that binding?

Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
An e-mailed resignation is just as binding as any other kind.

Your employer can say what's true, but the likelihood is that all he will say is that you resigned. Few people are willing to get into the issue of any medical conditions as even experienced HR people are sometimes confused as to what does and does not violate the ADA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">