• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Religious Confusion - A Simple Question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

where2begin

If non-violence is a religion, (which it is for ~25-30% of this worlds population (wiki it)) would violence also not constitute a religion in the U.S.?

Put another way: If violence is not a religion, would non-violence constitute a religion in the U.S.?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
where2begin

Just Blue

If non-violence is a religion, (which it is for ~25-30% of this worlds population (wiki it)) would violence also not constitute a religion in the U.S.?

Put another way: If violence is not a religion, would non-violence constitute a religion in the U.S.?

I can't satisfactorily answer these questions without contradiction. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
where2begin
This is not a debate forum...But I will tell you that wiki is not always accurate info.

CdwJava

If you Google the term asking about the legal definition of religion, you will find numerous writings on the subject. Whether you can extrapolate that violence or the lack thereof are somehow religions under any legal definition, I leave up to you.

Enjoy.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
where2begin
Neither "violence" nor "non-violence" constitute a religion for the purposes of the First Amendment.

Your post is sophomoric at best. "Non-violence" is a tenet or principle of several religions, and as such is a component of those religions, but it is not independently a religion unto itself.

One can be a Quaker and practice non-violence.
One can be a Buddhist and practice non-violence.
Both Quakers and Buddhists are recognized as religions. Pacifism alone does not a religion make.

Use google to find the Supreme Court definition of religion and stop asking others to do your homework.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Regardless, this is a legal question.
No, it really is not.

"nonviolence" is not a religion, per se. It may be a precept* of (several/most) religion(s). But it is not a religion in and of itself. Sorry, Bubs.

*ETA Tenet is likely a better term than precept...

where2begin

No...it's not. violence/nonviolence are moral ideals...not a faith.
See below.

Neither "violence" nor "non-violence" constitute a religion for the purposes of the First Amendment.

Your post is sophomoric at best. "Non-violence" is a tenant or principle of several religions, and as such is a component of those religions, but it is not independently a religion unto itself.
There are several non-Abrahamic religions who's entire "faith" is non-violence. Similar to atheism who's only "faith" is non-magical thinking. I don't like calling atheism a religion, but I'm speaking in terms of past SCOTUS?(not sure, not an attorney, it's why I'm asking, trls) findings upholding non-faith as a religion/belief, for example.

One can be a Buddhist and practice non-violence.
Both Quakers and Buddhists are recognized as religions. Pacifism alone does not a religion make.
You are making my point. Using your example:
One cannot be a Theravada Buddhist and practice violence. (google it) They believe that any intentional violence is a non-Buddhist act. (googling it will take you some time, but may be worth it.)
Both Quakers and Buddhists are recognized as religions. Pacifism alone does not a religion make? Pacifism has historically been rooted in the religious fear of reincarnation. (google Pythagoras)

Buddhism is a perfect example of Pacifism as religion. Theravada Buddhism holds no belief that isn't rooted in Pacifism. If it isn't Pacifism, it isn't Theravada Buddhism. (google it)

Use google to find the Supreme Court definition of religion and stop asking others to do your homework.
Not in school anymore :) Also, google it didn't cut it. I require much more than simple googling offers. Also, goggle sent me here anyways :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">