• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Religious discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaMike86

Harrassing me and threatening me the last few days with write ups. Telling me I could be fired for things when nothing I've done was against policy. My supervisor told.me yesturday my manager was investigating me and looking for dirt on me.

quincy

Harrassing me and threatening me the last few days with write ups. Telling me I could be fired for things when nothing I've done was against policy. My supervisor told.me yesturday my manager was investigating me and looking for dirt on me.
It does sound like they have learned of your complaint.

You should make written note of times, dates and types of harassment so you don’t have to rely on memory alone. And continue to do your job well.

Please let your attorney know what is happening in your workplace.

Good luck.

PaMike86

It does sound like they have learned of your complaint.

You should make written note of times, dates and types of harassment so you don’t have to rely on memory alone. And continue to do your job well.

Please let your attorney know what is happening in your workplace.

Good luck.
I have done this and have been typing up statements to give the investigators as well as text messages printed out and recorded phone calls.

PaMike86

Just be careful with the recording. You MUST be a party to the phone call to record.
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/texas-recording-law

You should say nothing at work, to your supervisor or manager or especially coworkers about your complaint. Speak to your attorney if problems at work continue.
Yes, every phone call is between me and the other person so it's legal for me. I have not told anyone about the EEOC but they have hinted to me that they know.

quincy

Yes, every phone call is between me and the other person so it's legal for me. I have not told anyone about the EEOC but they have hinted to me that they know.
It is hard to keep people from learning (and gossiping) about workplace “drama.”

Just continue to show up at work and do your job.

Good luck.

I believe Texas is a one party consent state, so would it be advisable for the OP to use an audio recorder to gather evidence to prove the discrimination?

quincy

A link to the recording law was provided. Texas IS a one-party consent law but his employer might have recording policies in the workplace that should be adhered to. Companies that are protecting trade secrets, for example, might take a dim view of recording conversations.

A link to the recording law was provided. Texas IS a one-party consent law but his employer might have recording policies in the workplace that should be adhered to. Companies that are protecting trade secrets, for example, might take a dim view of recording conversations.
Perfectly understandable.

quincy

Yes. It (plus a ban on photography) is not an uncommon employer policy for all sorts of reasons.

PaMike86

Interesting development today I was ambushed by the VP of human resources and put in an office with him. He asked me about the eeoc charges and what evidence I had however I just continued to tell him we can discuss this in an eeoc mediation meeting. He kept trying to get me to give up everything but I just gave up a little and told him I'll share the rest at the eeoc mediation meetings and provide detailed proof. I said to him unfortunately human resources should have investigated like this when I made the first six complaints months ago. And he tried to bully me in to telling him more however I was born yesterday he just wanted a leg up on me for coming up with counter arguments because at no time did he seen sincerely concerned about what happened to me.

quincy

It is possible that the VP of HR was truly curious and concerned. But, yes. Some sort of action should have been taken when you first complained.

Thank you for the update.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Good for you. I'm willing to bet that the lower level HR folk you dealt with never bothered to mention to the VP of HR what was going on and that the notice of the EEOC charges were the first he heard of it.

PaMike86

I'm not not sure what everyone's background is in this forum but let me give you an situation and tell me what you think.

Before filing EEOC charges I made several complaints to management, human resources etc.. no one cared to look into it but now they have eeoc charges and now they want to investigate it and ask me for evidence to support my allegations towards being discriminated against. As an employee do I have to give up any evidence at this point since they could have asked for it prior to the eeoc charges?

I feel they just want to see the evidence to figure out a way to counter argue the proof. Also I have requested my personnel file a month ago and everyone I speak to says someone else is working on it. If they dont want to give me a copy of my personnel file then why should I give up evidence prior to at least an eeoc mediation meeting.

The vice president of human resources sent me an email yesterday pretty much begging me to provide proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">