• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

religious speech in scools

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ck013660

I'm doing a report in my gov't class and it is on message bricks paved down on the ground in a public school in arizona. they are for sale to all students, community members ,and businesses. Are there any fedral giudelines that state what rules they can place on what the person can get engraved on thier brick. Can the school censor any religous messages or symbols?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ck013660 said:
I'm doing a report in my gov't class and it is on message bricks paved down on the ground in a public school in arizona. they are for sale to all students, community members ,and businesses. Are there any fedral giudelines that state what rules they can place on what the person can get engraved on thier brick. Can the school censor any religous messages or symbols?
My response:

Outside of the abortion issue, you have hit upon an issue of great importance to the American people. It is a Constitutional issue of such huge proportion, that it pinches a nerve in this country that continues to be extremely painful for both sides of the issue. In point of fact, it is an issue still being fought vigorously in the courts, and also within the current White House administration.

It is an issue that continues to pit 1st Amendment Freedom of Speech "purists" against those who truly, and adamantly believe in "separation of Church and State". I fall within the latter belief.

It is not an issue with an easy answer. However, for your edification, read the following United States Supreme Court decisions - - which will take you through the history of this country and the reasons behind and for the founding of this Republic of ours, by our "Founding Fathers", from the Mayflower through to today's legal reasoning:

U.S. Supreme Court
ENGEL v. VITALE, 370 U.S. 421 (1962)
370 U.S. 421
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=370&invol=421

And these Appellate and Supreme Court decisions rendered since "Engel":
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/casesearch.pl?court=us&CiRestriction=370+u.s.+421&

These cases are "tough and rough" reading. Good luck in coming to your own conclusions.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">