• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relinquishing parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Connecticut

My ex-husband and I share joint custody of our ten year old daughter. We had an amicable divorce three and half years ago. I have wanted another child for years and after discussing it for two years we decided to have another child together. My ex-husband does not want any legal or financial responsibility for the child. He only wants to be a father to the child emotionally. (i.e. - the child will visit with him when our ten year old does and will consider him to be his/her father.) He does not want joint custody because he wants no legal obligation to financially support this child. I own my home, have a good job and the support of my family and his. Basically to be a bit crude, he will be a sperm donor. To prevent him from changing his mind ten years down the road we both want him to legally relinquish his rights. Can this be done, or should we simply leave his name off the birth certificate? Any advice would be appreciated as I know it is an unusal situation.



Let me see if I got this straight?

Your ex husband is willing to father another child but does not want any financial responsibility, as agreed on by you both?
The way I understand things, if you never pursue child support from him, then no need to give up anything. However, if you fall on hard times and let's say, apply for welfare, most definetely, dad will be paying something. (Providing he is on birth certificate or you name him as the father).
Also, the way I understand this, dad can't just give up his obligations to support this child unless there is someone willing to adopt--however, like I said, if you never pursue support, this would be a "moot" point.
I am confused about you saying he might change his mind ten years down the road--meaning what? Seems to me that in this situation, you would be in control of anything like that.
IMO-seems like some more thought needs to be put into this--too many, "what if's".


I'd rethink this whole thing if I were you. Part of being there for the child is financial support as well. If you just left him off the birth certificate, and he changes his mind down the road, he could just have a DNA test done and voila! Why not just use a sperm bank?


Senior Member
I believe that if you have the sperm provided through a sperm bank and use their donor release forms, you may both be able to acheive your objective.


I guess I shouldn't put in case he changes his mind ten years down the road.....he is really more afraid that I might change my mind and try to take him to court for child support. I just want the child, and I would like my children to have the same father. In addition to that, I would hate to tell my child I have no idea who his/her father is (if I used a sperm bank) So unless there is a man willing to adopt the child, the courts will not allow my ex to self-terminate his rights?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential